Sep 23, 2014 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

thatonenoob

Reviewer: PMR Audio
SONY'S MDR-XB70AP

<< Audio Technica's ATH-IM02
Quick Navigation Panel
             Dunu DN-2000 >>

INTRODUCTION

My Sony XBA-1's had just broken. I loved my XBA-1s for what they were (reasonably priced, solid performing pair of IEMs). Desperate to get something to replace them for my daily 1.5 hour commute, I picked up the MDR-XB70AP one day after work while doing a bit of "window" shopping.  I was quite tired that day, and it hadn't occurred to me that something marketed as "extra bass" might not make the best high-fi purchase. However, my previous experience with the XBA-1's and the rigid aesthetics helped to swing my decision positively. 

The usual disclaimers apply.  I am neither an affiliate nor an employee of Sony.  All photos are taken and owned by me.

SPECIFICATIONS

TYPE: 12mm Dome Type (Dynamic)
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 4 - 26,000 Hz (unrealistic)
MAXIMUM INPUT POWER: Not provided.
SENSITIVITY: 112 db/mW
IMPEDANCE: 16 ohms
WEIGHT: 9 grams
PRICE: ~80 USD

PACKAGING/ INCLUDED ITEMS

The packaging of the MDR-XB70AP doesn't do it too many favors (in retrospect).  A plastic shell holds together a matte white box, which contains yet another clear plastic holder in which the earphones are stored.  The large font proclaiming "Extra Bass" and the dichotomously small font announcing the model-number were signs that this probably wasn't going to be to be a high-fi earphone.  That said, the 80 dollar price tag does put it at the slightly higher end of very basic, entry-level models.  I suppose this is a price point dominated by high-end fashion earphones, low-end high-fi earphones, and entry-level specific earphones (A-Jays, etc.)  

Included are 4 sets of tips, and a little carrying pouch.  The pouch has the same "elastic" quality as a rollable metal ruler. Pushing the opposite ends together causes the metal band to "pop", thus opening the pouch.  Overall a very neat mechanism, but definitely not one designed with very long-term durability in mind.  In addition, the pouch is too small, and is better suited for storing coins than the large MDR-XB70AP.  

BUILD/DESIGN QUALITY

Overall, the MDR XB-70AP continues the Sony tradition for strong build quality.  Half of the earphone is aluminum, and the rest is plastic.  While the plastic is strong and firmly attached, the concern here is how the MDR-XB70AP claims to have an aluminum "housing". I am not a sound engineer, so I cannot elaborate on the possible performance-based benefits of having the driver encased in plastic and the rest or the earphone in aluminum.  However, from a purely consumer-based standpoint, the claim to have an aluminum housing is questionable, considering that two vital components (bass duct and driver) are actually housed in plastic.   Having said that, the quality is still very good.  A soft plastic stress relief indicates Sony's clear attention to detail.

The fit of the earphones is surprisingly good for something that measures over an inch long from bottom to top.  With some tinkering, a good seal can be achieved.  However, because Sony has made no attempt at making this negative profile, this pair of earphones is definitely not suited for anyone intending on being particularly active.  In addition wind noise can become a problem, not only because of the large profile of the MDR-XB70AP, but because there are huge ports on this earphone!  In total, there are 4 ports (2 small on driver housing, 2 big on the bass duct).

SOUND QUALITY

Overall sound quality is exactly as promised (not so balanced though).  The bass quantity is pretty good for a pair of earbuds.  There's simply a lot of it.  In Animals by Martin Garrix, the XB70AP demonstrates its impressive ability to produce sub-bass.  The long decay times can actually be felt, and the effect is quite enveloping.  However, moving into mid and upper bass, the XB70AP demonstrates its lack of punch.  It doesn't quite move fast enough to ensure that good clarity is kept throughout the general bass line.  The weakness is especially evident when various types of bass come together.  The sub-bass generally overwhelms the rest of the bass, and the XB70AP sometimes plows through songs with the stereotypical "dun-dun-dun".  While this can be fun at times, it is annoying at others.  

Trebles are okay.  They offer a bit of sparkle, but this observation is biased in the sense that most anything will sparkle in light of XB70AP's bass.  The clarity at the higher-end is good, and really helps to open up the otherwise narrow soundstage. However, the headphone's weakness comes to light with the mids.  A deep V-parabola means that the mids are heavily recessed. Vocals sound like they are coming from another room in fact.  In songs like Everytime You Go Away by Paul Young, the XB-70AP constantly tries to retreat into the lower notes.  Increasing the volume only reveals a strong level of sibilance in the mids, and makes for a less-than-ideal balanced listening experience (but it is fun!)

It comes without saying that these earphones are not particularly clear in general.  In The Mission by Ennio Morriconethere was so little clarity that the cellos, oboes, and violins sounded like one massive, muddled instrument producing rather disjointed sounds.  

FINAL THOUGHTS

The MDR-XB70AP is not a high clarity, high-fi earphone.  In comparison to its predecessor, the XB70AP has apparently sacrificed too much to achieve the "extra bass" (this is from impressions by other users). The tuning by Sony, which recesses mids and trebles in order to emphasize the base, was slightly heavy-handed.  The large soundstage is rather awkward and hastily planned. The bass instruments feel like they are right next to you, the triangles a little further back, and the mids a mile away.  Genres like classical, pop, and rock are definitely not good on these earphones.  In addition, several physical design choices really accentuate the XB70AP's recessed mids.   However, if you are looking for a pair of very fun earphones, this would be a good choice. Dedicated bassheads will also revel in the "epic" bass available.  However, for regular users looking for a balanced sound, the 70 dollar price tag and deep-v signature may make the MDR-XB70AP off-putting.

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 11
It sounds like the XB50 may be the better option of the two. Still has massive bass and recessed mids, but they are not completely overshadowed by the bass, IMO. Treble I find pretty tame.

Thanks for the nice review
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!  The XB50 seems like a pretty solid value-for-money option if you are into this sound, especially since the XB70s don't seem to be offering significantly improved performance! :p

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 11
  Thanks!  The XB50 seems like a pretty solid value-for-money option if you are into this sound, especially since the XB70s don't seem to be offering significantly improved performance! :p

Agreed. Although, I bought my XB50 (admittedly to be one of the first to cover it, lol) at 79.99 CAd plus taxes the week they were released in my area. I wanted the 70s, but they aren't offered anywhere. The 50s are in no way worth 80 bucks, but now that the regular price is ~39-49 CAD and go on sale for less all the time, they are a solid value. I still think the treble and mids are a little underwhelming, but it suits the bass heavy genres they excel in, and with the 50s, the mids are forward enough to still be adequate.

They are flat out terrible for metal and most rock. Jazz instrumental is okay, but toss in the vocals and they are inconsistent. Overall they are just a fun, almost guilty pleasure type IEM.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 11

Agreed. Although, I bought my XB50 (admittedly to be one of the first to cover it, lol) at 79.99 CAd plus taxes the week they were released in my area. I wanted the 70s, but they aren't offered anywhere. The 50s are in no way worth 80 bucks, but now that the regular price is ~39-49 CAD and go on sale for less all the time, they are a solid value. I still think the treble and mids are a little underwhelming, but it suits the bass heavy genres they excel in, and with the 50s, the mids are forward enough to still be adequate.

They are flat out terrible for metal and most rock. Jazz instrumental is okay, but toss in the vocals and they are inconsistent. Overall they are just a fun, almost guilty pleasure type IEM.

Agreed x 2.  I'm not exactly sure what Sony was trying to shoot for when they created the XB70AP at its current price point. For an extra 20+ dollars, one can obtain the SE 215, and I feel that with the XB70AP's price tag, the "fun" should start shifting slightly towards the "high-fi" side.  Design wise, the XB70AP is hemmed in by better "fashion" earphones and the A-Jays in particular.  I really think that Sony does produce some very good earphones, but I am honestly a little confused by the sales strategy behind the 70s.

But that bass rumble on the XB70s though...........

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 11
and at $99, you can get an even more superior Hifiman RE-400. (singapore price, im a singaporean too :D)

btw, in case you were thinking, Sony discontinued the XBA-10, the successor to the XBA-1, as the XBA-100 is coming

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 11
+1! Sony's extra bass line was doomed for failure from the start. The audio technica solid bass line just has gobs more clarity and tons more quality bass over the Sony XB line.

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 11
+1! Sony's extra bass line was doomed for failure from the start. The audio technica solid bass line just has gobs more clarity and tons more quality bass over the Sony XB line.

Doubt that. The XB90EX is/was probably the most popular model over any of the AT's Solid bass earphones. I bet sales-wise Sony has done as well or better than AT. People seemed to have liked the Sony XB cans better as well. AT might perform better but don't underestimate what the masses decide to buy esp. concerning style and marketing. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #10 of 11

Doubt that. The XB90EX is/was probably the most popular model over any of the AT's Solid bass earphones. I bet sales-wise Sony has done as well or better than AT. People seemed to have liked the Sony XB cans better as well. AT might perform better but don't underestimate what the masses decide to buy esp. concerning style and marketing. 

Aye aye captain.  That said, the XB90EX did supposedly offer much better performance than its current counterparts, and the strength of Sony branding and after-market service would have made it a pretty reasonable decision from the regular consumer's POV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back