Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?
May 5, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #544 of 551
using this http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/ I came to the conclusion I can hear up to 20Khz, I'm a 36yo male.

now I have a couple observations:
The first time I did this test it was on my new loudspeakers, Klipsh RP-250F. On them I couldn't hear past 17Khz and was quite suprised, as this is the limit where mp3's cut the high frequencies and I am sure I can hear the missing frequencies. Also I can hear noises from all kinds of electric equipments, screens, malfunctionning power strips etc...

Then I tried on my FiiO X5-III coupled with Sony XBA-300 which are pure BA IEM's and I could hear the 20Khz tone but not above in a midly noisy environment, I was quite happy as my sanity was preserved. I then tried all kinds of low end IEM and headsets, and most of them would not go past 16/17Khz. I also tried my xperia Z5 smartphone coupled with the xba IEM's, I somehow heard the 21Khz tone, but I am pretty sure that the smartphone doctors the high frenquencies as for exemple the 18Khz tone sounds lower than the 17Khz one.

My conclusion is that audiograms are done on calibrated hardware and controlled conditions for a reason. Scientific methods require that all parameters are under control. These kind of online tests are fun but don't jump to the conclusion about your supposed hearing loss over an internet test on your personnal hardware.

My excuses for the necro thread bump!

May 5, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #545 of 551
The difference between 15kHz and 20kHz doesn't add up to a hill of beans. It's only a quarter of an octave... less that two notes in the musical scale. Plus it's all the way up by the edge of your hearing and well beyond any fundamental note in music. The frequencies in the middle are much more important to perceived sound quality. The test you want to do is to find out if you have any dropouts in the middle of the range. A lot of people do. A tone sweep will reveal it.

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #547 of 551
10kHz to 20kHz is one octave. If you've seen The Sound of Music, you know that's seven notes in an octave. You can hear about ten octaves altogether- around 70 notes. Between 17kHz and 20kHz is only about two notes. Why do you have a sad face just because you hear 68 notes instead of 70? There's nothing up there aside from some harmonics from triangles and cymbals that are likely masked anyway. It doesn't matter.

Jun 19, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #548 of 551
I know for sure, that i can hear up to exactly 17480Hz, but in that test, i did allso hear that 21000Hz, but not 18-20.
I really think that there is something funky, in that test.

Jun 19, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #549 of 551
Maybe your headphones or amp are distorting at 21kHz. Or perhaps your ears.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #551 of 551
I did comparable tests with a xperia Z5 smartphone and the frequencies above 17Khz were noticeably distorded. Much better with a FiiO X5-3.

Also the freemosquitoringtones website is fishy at best, the 22khz signal is for sure NOT a pure sine. there is a lower frequency component in that sound, otherwise I wouldn't hear it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back