please, I want to find a headphone with my pleasure
Sep 15, 2002 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

newgo

New Head-Fier
Hi , I am a junior, I can not find some differences among just as sennheiser,grado,koss,akg and others. Someone of my friend advises me to buy ath-ad5(a japanese famous)or akg k501 or koss a250 , they said it was valuable enough.But when I visited this web,that may sound sr60 is good too.So I was in trouble.
I only want to buy one to listen music,and watch TV (at night not disturb my parents).It may be better if I can pay less money to buy a cost one.

I can take 80-120 dollar on it .
my favorite kinds of music is british ,electronic techno/house/ambient, classical guitar and some rocks.

at last ,forgive my poor english.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 11
First off I'm not sure how I should approach the price issue. I can suggest some headphones in the price range you listed, but the thing is some headphones are likely to be quite a bit more expensive where you are than they are here in the US, while other phones are likely to be quite a bit cheaper where you are.

A good headphone that you may be able to get much cheaper than we can here in the US is the Philips HP890. Rather large, but they get very positive comments from those who have heard them. They aren't normally sold in the US, so we have to buy them from sellers in other countries and pay a much higher cost.

I'm guessing that ath-ad5 that you mentioned is an Audio Technica model? I don't think I've seen any mention of those here. Audio Technica's headphones with wooden enclosures have won over quite a few fans around here, but those are rather expensive, at least for us. Nobody seems to talk about AT's cheaper headphones, so I'd be a bit cautious.

You might see if the old Sony V6 is available in your area. It's an excellent closed headphone that can be bought for little money in the US, under $70. Note: this is NOT the same as the Sony V-600, which is a very bad headphone.

The AKG K501 is probably not what you're looking for, as it leaks a lot of sound to the outside and is generally viewed as not having enough bass, which would be bad for your music tastes.

One other closed headphone you might try to find is the Beyerdynamic DT250. It might be out of your price range, as it costs about $150 US, but it's made in Germany so I really don't know what it would sell for where you are. But it's definately one of the better closed headphones.

EDIT: One other headphone you might look into is the Denon AHD-950, made in Japan. Most things I've read about them say they're not too bad, but probably not as good as the Beyerdynamic headphones.

Sep 15, 2002 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 11
Welcome newgo !!!

I'm not a expert here but I had a SONY V6 and it was very good. Toe very well remembered it must be easy to find where you are !!

And if you have the option, Sennheiser HD 25-SP are
Among the best sealed headphones under $100. Ideal for portable use in loud environments, says www.Headphone.com

I have one HD 25-SP and they are very good also.

Best for you and very welcome !

Ari

You might see if the old Sony V6 is available in your area. It's an excellent closed headphone that can be bought for little money in the US, under $70. Note: this is NOT the same as the Sony V-600, which is a very bad headphone.

Sep 15, 2002 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 11
Hello Newgo

I agree with Toe that the Philips HP890 would make a good choice for you.

If I remember correctly they are manufactured in China,
so should be available in your department stores.

At a guess I would think that you would pay perhaps a little less
than USD $35.

Good Luck.

Sep 15, 2002 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 11
i just want to add that even though open phones leak sound its not as if speakers are blasting. if you are listening to music at night and your parents are in another room, open phones are fine for that purpose. if however you do not want to disturb or be disturbed by anyone in the same room or in close proximity to you then closed phone is the way to go.

philips hp890 will be a good buy if you can found it for cheap, say US$60-70, for some reason the philips are quite cheap in asia. The koss ksc50 or ksc55 are also quite good and cheap. Grado, Sennheiser, AT however will omst probably be expensive comparably.

Sep 15, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 11
I'll add another recommendation for the Philips HP890. It is quite unbeatable if you can pick it up for under $40USD in China. I doubt Philips makes much off of its sales at those prices but I think they are more concerned with establishing themselves as a force in emerging markets in the far east like India where they can be found for $55USD or so. Don't be misled by their low price as I feel they can easily compete with $200+ headphones and beat everything under $100USD.

Sep 15, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Hi all: I have the 890s and they need almost as much power as my 580s to sound at max. I think it is because of the very large drivers. The v6 sounds like the one to go with and if don't want to pay to much and can get buy with open it is hard to beat the koss portapros for the money.

Sep 15, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 11
It sounds like a pair of Grado SR-60 is what you should get. If you want to spend more, you can go higher up on the Grado SR series, say the SR80 or SR125.

Sep 20, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by newgo
Hi , I am a junior, I can not find some differences among just as sennheiser,grado,koss,akg and others. Someone of my friend advises me to buy ath-ad5(a japanese famous)or akg k501 or koss a250 , they said it was valuable enough.But when I visited this web,that may sound sr60 is good too.So I was in trouble.
I only want to buy one to listen music,and watch TV (at night not disturb my parents).It may be better if I can pay less money to buy a cost one.

I can take 80-120 dollar on it .
my favorite kinds of music is british ,electronic techno/house/ambient, classical guitar and some rocks.

at last ,forgive my poor english.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm going to throw a curveball here: Sony MDR-D66 Eggos.

Very well behaved headphones, comfortable, very compact (folds for storage), good bass (but not deep deep - trust me, you won't mind) and looks cool.

Superior sense of space to the DT250-80 with similar sound and response. Superior comfort and overall balance of sound to the HD280, although with less precision and less response. Practically as enjoyable as the Grado SR60, without the leakage. Easier to drive than any of the above.

Plus, you can hook it up to your personal stereo as well without using a headphone amplifier.

Price: About 11,000 yen in Japan. ($100)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back