Please Help Recommend Full Sized Headphone for J-Pop/J-Rock Music (<$250)
Jan 30, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #91 of 105

I have a pair of MSR7's coming in actually! Hopefully today, but USPS has almost always fail me on important packages being on time haha.
Actually got the AD2000 now. Well, "AD2000 Drivers in a AD500X" mod from here on the forums. Sounds magical!

Ya dude the MSR7 are definitely a great buy in my opinion, however if you wanna achieve comfort for the first week the clamping force is horrendous so putting them on a tissue box at night for about a week and some usage will basically solve that. And after that everything is just awesome.

May 15, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #92 of 105
Hey,

I've decided not to start a new thread since right people might be subscribed to this one.

I'm looking for headphones that should have:
- Over ear type
- Price under 200$ (may be up to 300, if needed)
- Strong construction (better with replaceable parts)

For what I need them:
- Listening to j-rock, j-pop and post-rock music (http://www.last.fm/user/Hello_dude/library/artists?date_preset=LAST_90_DAYS)
- Gaming (it doesn't mean that it should have built-in mic)
- Daily home use for 10+ hours

Previously owned only Audio-Technica ATH-M40x (that's I have no idea how the new one should sound). Unfortunately, after ~6 months of daily use, right hinge broke. Same happened with the left one later. After multiply homemade repairs I gave up and now looking for an upgrade.

Originally I was going to go for the ATH-M50x (since they have stronger construction). After reading DT770 vs ATH-M50x thread I've changed my mind to the DT770. And after reading all 7 pages of this thread I realized that maybe DT770 isn't the best choice.

Currently I have no idea what to choose. I would like to hear your recommendations about headphones and some amps if possible. Thanks!

May 15, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #93 of 105
  Hey,

I've decided not to start a new thread since right people might be subscribed to this one.

I'm looking for headphones that should have:
- Over ear type
- Price under 200$ (may be up to 300, if needed)
- Strong construction (better with replaceable parts)

For what I need them:
- Listening to j-rock, j-pop and post-rock music (http://www.last.fm/user/Hello_dude/library/artists?date_preset=LAST_90_DAYS)
- Gaming (it doesn't mean that it should have built-in mic)
- Daily home use for 10+ hours

Previously owned only Audio-Technica ATH-M40x (that's I have no idea how the new one should sound). Unfortunately, after ~6 months of daily use, right hinge broke. Same happened with the left one later. After multiply homemade repairs I gave up and now looking for an upgrade.

Originally I was going to go for the ATH-M50x (since they have stronger construction). After reading DT770 vs ATH-M50x thread I've changed my mind to the DT770. And after reading all 7 pages of this thread I realized that maybe DT770 isn't the best choice.

Currently I have no idea what to choose. I would like to hear your recommendations about headphones and some amps if possible. Thanks!

I had the MSR7's for a bit and I thought they worked quite well with J-Rock, J-Pop, and pretty much with every energetic music genres.

I just didn't like how the construction of the MSR7's are kind of.. ehh. They creak so much even when they're on your head you're just moving your head around. 

If you're willing to save money, I'd go straight for the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000X's. I don't have the AD2000X but I have the AD2000 and if they're somewhat similar (which apparently they're a bit different in sound) then I recommend either one. They're quite pricey though going well above 500 USD.

If that might be too much, I read a review where someone said that the ATH-AD1000X did 99% of what the AD2000X did. The AD1000X just didn't have that push in the upper mids or somewhere which gives female vocals this "gloss" to them. 

ZReviews on Youtube recommended the AD2000X's for gaming before. As for construction, ehh just don't toss em around.

Also, the AD2000X and AD1000X are open back headphones so if you were looking for closed back, I can vouch for the MSR7's.

May 16, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #94 of 105
  I had the MSR7's for a bit and I thought they worked quite well with J-Rock, J-Pop, and pretty much with every energetic music genres.

I just didn't like how the construction of the MSR7's are kind of.. ehh. They creak so much even when they're on your head you're just moving your head around. 

If you're willing to save money, I'd go straight for the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000X's. I don't have the AD2000X but I have the AD2000 and if they're somewhat similar (which apparently they're a bit different in sound) then I recommend either one. They're quite pricey though going well above 500 USD.

If that might be too much, I read a review where someone said that the ATH-AD1000X did 99% of what the AD2000X did. The AD1000X just didn't have that push in the upper mids or somewhere which gives female vocals this "gloss" to them. 

ZReviews on Youtube recommended the AD2000X's for gaming before. As for construction, ehh just don't toss em around.

Also, the AD2000X and AD1000X are open back headphones so if you were looking for closed back, I can vouch for the MSR7's.

Well. Thanks for your reply. AD2000X is too much for me, that's true.

And I don't really need a closed back. So AD1000X should be a good choose.

Btw, Audio Technica has updated prices on AD1000X and AD2000X. They are now 600$ and 900$ respectively on their site. But still 300$ on amazon. Should I pay and run?

May 16, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #95 of 105
  Well. Thanks for your reply. AD2000X is too much for me, that's true.

And I don't really need a closed back. So AD1000X should be a good choose.

Btw, Audio Technica has updated prices on AD1000X and AD2000X. They are now 600$ and 900$ respectively on their site. But still 300$ on amazon. Should I pay and run?

Well Audio Technica headphones usually come down a lot in price compared to its MSRP. I think I saw the AD1000X go for 270 a few week ago but I don't remember clearly. For 300 USD, I think it's a good deal. 

May 16, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #97 of 105
How did the soundmagic hp 200 go?

They were really sibilant from my experience. They have a lot of highs that make it sound "big", but in actuality they don't really have very good soundstage/imaging. 

May 17, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #98 of 105
Egoist fan spotted 
k701smile.gif

May 17, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #99 of 105

For what its worth the best pair of headphones I have heard for Jpop esp female vocal is TDK ST 750. Super comfortable but has built in cable and no talk controller built in. Treble is detailed and crisp but never sibilant. Vocals are brought out to the front which is important for Jpop imo. I dunno might be worth a shot until you find better? they can be had now under $100.

http://en.goldenears.net/48709

May 19, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #100 of 105
  Egoist fan spotted 
k701smile.gif

Chelly's voice is simply amazing <3. But I wish their new single for Koutetsujou no Kabaneri OP could be better :c

For what its worth the best pair of headphones I have heard for Jpop esp female vocal is TDK ST 750. Super comfortable but has built in cable and no talk controller built in. Treble is detailed and crisp but never sibilant. Vocals are brought out to the front which is important for Jpop imo. I dunno might be worth a shot until you find better? they can be had now under $100.

http://en.goldenears.net/48709

Actually that's sounds like a good idea. I had some problems with purchasing AD1000X from amazon, but I can get TDK ST750 from the local store just for 60$. I think I will go for them and possibly upgrade in the future.

May 19, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #102 of 105
  Chelly's voice is simply amazing <3. But I wish their new single for Koutetsujou no Kabaneri OP could be better :c

Actually that's sounds like a good idea. I had some problems with purchasing AD1000X from amazon, but I can get TDK ST750 from the local store just for 60$. I think I will go for them and possibly upgrade in the future.

Yeah, I didn't quite like the opening that much either. I liked the ending a lot more. Loved the instrumentals and of course Aimer is just awesome.

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #103 of 105
Anyone can tell me if the ad1000x are very good with J-pop? I Bought hd 598 And I Don't liked them for J-pop, I'm seing if I Should buy ad900x or ad1000x for Japanese female vocals (I Also Listen to Chelly <3 xD!!!
  Yeah, I didn't quite like the opening that much either. I liked the ending a lot more. Loved the instrumentals and of course Aimer is just awesome.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #104 of 105
  Anyone can tell me if the ad1000x are very good with J-pop? I Bought hd 598 And I Don't liked them for J-pop, I'm seing if I Should buy ad900x or ad1000x for Japanese female vocals (I Also Listen to Chelly <3 xD!!!

They should be fantastic. I haven't tried the AD900X or the AD1000X, but from what I've gathered, the AD900X is the most neutral between the two. The AD1000X should sound the closest to the AD2000X , which I have and sound pretty great with J-Pop though a little more bass would be nice.

Female vocals sound great and the treble is smooth and maybe a touch rolled off at the highest octaves. Could sound a bit "honky" though.

I read a review where the AD1000X is 99% of what the AD2000X is, but with a little boost in the mids/upper mids to give them its "magic mids" in the AD2000X.

That review here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296402-a-look-at-the-audio-technica-ad1000x-and-ad2000x/

Lachlanlikesathing briefly compared the AD900X and the AD1000X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkh_giVwD3g

Some things he pointed out are that the AD1000X seems to have a more precise soundstage, a bit more breathy for female vocals, but a little less natural sounding.

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #105 of 105
I Think I'll pass the ad1000x and the ad2000x for Budget reasons, (I Can buy akg 712 Pro for a bit less than the AD1000x in my country, also buy the hifiman He400S With that money), I'm worried about the ad900x, Because I don't like the edgy, cactus , shave, very sharp and dry vocals, I Hated the athm 50x, I really hated the vocals in that thing, I'm worried if they would really sound good for me, I Think I Would like more a liquid presentation, I Had hd 598, They sounded good, but in some way the vocals maybe where somewhat sharp(well, not like the athm 50x), The problem with hd 598 was that they made me feel sleepy, and they lack energy, I Want a similar sound but with more energy/ energetic Sound, and if is posible with less Sharp vocals, My Priority goes for Heavely Female Vocals =) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back