Please Help Me!!!
Jul 12, 2003 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Knocturnal

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,
I have been looking for a source for quite a while now to match with a maxed-out META42 and probably the DT 880 or the HD600 and a couldn't make up my mind.

I was about to give up until I got more money until my dad comes into my room and says why don't I try the CD player that he had put into my closet 5 years ago. Well I don't have the headphones and amp yet, so I used the speakers that it came with and to my surprise it sounded pretty good. I want to try it with my headphones and amp when I get them.

What I want to find out from you guys is wheather this thing is any good or if you guys have heard anything about it.
Its a JVC MX-44. It says it was manufactured in 1992. It has a headphone out on the front and on the back it says "phono" with a left and right thing for the RCA jacks, I think. Which I would assume is what I should hook my META into. Remember I am kind of new to this source thing.

I will post a picture of it in a a couple of hours when I find my digital camera. I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me on this one.

Knocturnal

Jul 12, 2003 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 6
The problem with CD players is that like everything else in audio they sound good until you listen to something better. Another problem with CD players is that you always have to spend a lot more money for a somewhat small return in refinement. I wish you luck, because I think the Compact Disc player is by, and far the most difficult component to audition, and buy at least for me anyway.

Jul 12, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 6
Don't knock JVC, they made awesome cd players a while back.

The JVC XL-Z1050TN still kicks the ass of many modern cd players. I plan to get one sometime to use as a transport.

Jul 12, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 6
we had this thread about older CDP. My experience is that a budget CDP from a decade ago will sound thin and harsh compared to todays players. The best thing is to wait for your phones and amp to arrive and listen to the system than decide if you want something more.

Jul 15, 2003 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 6
I think those phono plugs would be to run a phono stage in (turntable), not something out.(headphone amp) Does it have a line out, or pre out on it?

Jul 15, 2003 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 6
JVC has made a number of components with good tech (for the time) and a lot of "bang for the buck." Problem has been that they are not really durable or "lasting" (rheostats and switching have been weak and construction not that good). For what you are talking about (a place to start), it should still be great. There should be a switch on the front panel that clears the phono thing up, but I'm guessing your CD deck was to be piggybacked with a turntable for an amplifier/receiver's single phono input.

A couple of years ago, I was looking around for a portable source to go with the cabin stereo. Problem was that the current production PCDPs had bad audio specifications. Realized I was never far from an AC source and wound up with a value home CDP for about half the money I had budgeted. It's worked out great. Unless you have great space constraints or need to go battery, value CDPs provide good cost/benefit ratios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back