please help me decide which headphones to buy
Jul 6, 2009 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

V3LOCIP3D3

New Head-Fier
I've been reading recommendations on Head-Fi.org for weeks, and need to make a final decision on which headphones to buy. Living in my city, there are few opportunities to try before I buy, so this site has helped me out a lot!
-I'm looking for closed, over-ear headphones under $250.
-Most listening will be unamplified through my PMP. But I also have a Creek OBH-11 amp (w/ the Creek OBH-2 PS) in the mail.
-I enjoy a wide variety of music, but particularly classic rock recordings (Jimi Hendrix, Allmann Bros., Eric Clapton, the Beatles and Rolling Stones) I love dramatic guitar solos, and live recordings.
-I also have a Denon SACD player that I am planning to use the headphones with.

From what I've read I've been planning on buying the Audio-Technica AD-900. It seems to be most recommended on the web, but there aren't many technical comparisons out there
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 3
AD900 ain't closed. Denon AH-D2000 would do you well for that price, but first, why do you want them closed? (Which is not to say you shouldn't buy closed phones; some people just get them for the wrong reasons, etc.)

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 3
Oops wrong #: ATH-A900
thanks for the response jonathanjong.
there's a couple of reasons why I want closed ear headphones. First, from what I've read, open-ear phones have a more airy sound, and closed-ear headphones result in a more clear and detailed sound with better bass response----which I would would rather have. especially since I have an SACD player, I really want to here the detail and be immersed in the sound.
Also I live with 2 roommates, lol.

But I read up on the Denons at trustedreviews.com and they sound like a great compromise: "a slightly closed sound, they do still manage to feel extremely light and airy." And they're the same price as the ATH-A900's. Have you compared them, how do they stack up against eachother?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back