Please Help :) Fake Flac or not (24/96)
Apr 3, 2017 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ichtch

New Head-Fier
Greetings Headfi!!
i need some confirm about my spectrometer , is it fake flac or real flac?? im noob about this , i cant use main song because i got some error from spectro also audiochecker(error failed to read metadata) idk why but spek it going well, perhaps the size is too big ( around 150-170mb) , so i using prologue song(still same album) which is it doesnt show any error of metadata, so i want you guys give your opinion , if it fake flac so i'll convert it to lossy format , thanks
sorry my bad english :) 

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 11
Why would you suspect that it's fake? If you got it from a reputable source, then I would contact them with your issue. Even if it's fake, converting it to a lossy format will only degrade an already degraded track. Does it play or do you only think this because of the errors you received?

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 11
Why would you suspect that it's fake? If you got it from a reputable source, then I would contact them with your issue. Even if it's fake, converting it to a lossy format will only degrade an already degraded track. Does it play or do you only think this because of the errors you received?

my friend have  the mp3 320kbps with same this album one and this is my first 24bit flac and i didnt got any difference between this flac with my friend mp3 320,even i think mp3 320 sound better, idk why..(perhaps my source isn't good enough for 24bit flac or have some issue with my ear :)) so i thought this is fake flac and i dont know anything about spectrometer ( my friend suguest me to check with spectro) but thanks for reply :)

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 11
  ... i didnt got any difference between this flac with my friend mp3 320 ...

In a sense it is fake because there's really no such thing as a 24bit flac, in reality though it's probably not fake. Think of it like this; If you eat a MacDonalds off a 6" plate does it taste any different if you eat it off a 36" plate? In this analogy the bits (24bits) is the plate size and the music is the MacDonalds. The flac may well be genuine but music is never more than about 10-12bits and it won't sound any different in say a 16bit container than it will in a 24bit container. This post explains this fact in more detail. MP3 320 is specifically designed to sound exactly the same as 16bit (and therefore 24bit), so it's entirely expected that you would not be able to tell any difference.

The MP3 320 should also not sound better that your flac though, it should sound the same. The most likely explanation is that you only think it sounds better or that it's been made from a different master.

There's no way of knowing from the info you've supplied if the flac is fake or not, it probably isn't a fake but that's just an educated guess.

G

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 11

In a sense it is fake because there's really no such thing as a 24bit flac, in reality though it's probably not fake. Think of it like this; If you eat a MacDonalds off a 6" plate does it taste any different if you eat it off a 36" plate? In this analogy the bits (24bits) is the plate size and the music is the MacDonalds. The flac may well be genuine but music is never more than about 10-12bits and it won't sound any different in say a 16bit container than it will in a 24bit container. This post explains this fact in more detail. MP3 320 is specifically designed to sound exactly the same as 16bit (and therefore 24bit), so it's entirely expected that you would not be able to tell any difference.

The MP3 320 should also not sound better that your flac though, it should sound the same. The most likely explanation is that you only think it sounds better or that it's been made from a different master.

There's no way of knowing from the info you've supplied if the flac is fake or not, it probably isn't a fake but that's just an educated guess.

G

thanks for information , im alr read those link and its bit complicated to me , so  the verdict if 24bit flac just for mixing and mastering does it actually exist to buy it or it just upsampling from 16bit after mixing and mastering??
then its better to convert this flac to 320kbps or 16bit for get less storage size rather than keep this flac if the sound quality isn't good than mp3, so how exactly to know its fake flac or not??

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #8 of 11
  [1] .. so  the verdict if 24bit flac just for mixing and mastering does it actually exist to buy it or it just upsampling from 16bit after mixing and mastering??
[2]then its better to convert this flac to 320kbps or 16bit for get less storage size rather than keep this flac if the sound quality isn't good than mp3,
[3] so how exactly to know its fake flac or not??

1. After mixing and mastering you've got about 12bits worth of music in a 24bit container. IE. The remaining 12bits are just noise or digital silence. A 24bit flac is (should be) an identical copy of this (including the noise/digital silence). If you put this into 16bits then you've still got all your 12 bits of music and all you've lost is 8bits of random noise/silence.

2. MP3 320 is lossy, it removes more than just noise/silence. It does that very cleverly and in practice it's almost impossible to hear the difference in a blind test and even then it's only possible in a few cases. Some audiophiles take a strong stance against this process of loosing information though, don't believe in blind testing and are convinced they hear a difference. Others would keep the flac "just in case" on a hard disk somewhere but would use the MP3 320 for everyday use. The choice is yours.

3. As mentioned previously, on a CD there can't be anything higher than 22kHz but sometimes there might not have been anything above that point to record in the first place and it's also possible to artificially add content above 22kHz to music taken from a CD. So really there is no easy way to be absolutely sure.

G

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 11

sorry for late reply i have to downgrade my OS to win7 from win 10 which is in win10 spectro didnt going very well, this is take a day to downgrade my os..those are the main song i still have doubt again about this ( this is my last chance if this fake ill gonna delete it)
so my question about if those spectro show frek above 22kHZ why it show 15% original and got a red straight lane(-100db) at frequency range?? which is in my case im always check my 16bit flac with spectro it show above 76% of original and didnt got a red staight lane like that

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 11
I think the issue has been confused.  If I understand you, what you wish to know is this really a 96 khz source file.  Was it really recorded at 96 khz?  The answer going by the info you post is yes.  It has some low level information to at least the mid 30 khz range.  96 khz can have information to 48 khz, but the microphones used probably don't respond that far. Very few microphones do plus depending on the instruments recorded there may be nothing higher than 30 or 35 khz. 

If this were from a CD upsampled, then you would have a line at 22 khz and absolutely nothing above that.  Complete blackness.

If it were from MP3 you might have the same as CD or even nothing above 17 khz.

So this is not fake.

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 11
I think the issue has been confused.  If I understand you, what you wish to know is this really a 96 khz source file.  Was it really recorded at 96 khz?  The answer going by the info you post is yes.  It has some low level information to at least the mid 30 khz range.  96 khz can have information to 48 khz, but the microphones used probably don't respond that far. Very few microphones do plus depending on the instruments recorded there may be nothing higher than 30 or 35 khz. 

If this were from a CD upsampled, then you would have a line at 22 khz and absolutely nothing above that.  Complete blackness.

If it were from MP3 you might have the same as CD or even nothing above 17 khz.

So this is not fake.

Thanks a lot buddy ,thanks!!
Yeah im really confused about this because im new in audio stuff , thanks for an explanation i got it now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back