Player with digital line in recording
May 12, 2023 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ambchang

500+ Head-Fier
I’m looking for a player that can record digital files through toslink or usb. I found the iRiver ihp120/140 but it has been discontinued for 20 years and finding a reliable used sample proves to be difficult.

I also looked at the Zoom and Roland recorders but they only provide analog in recording.

I don’t mind a desktop setup but would strongly prefer a portable device that I can play music with.

any recomendations? Thanks.

May 20, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 8
I’m looking for a player that can record digital files through toslink or usb. I found the iRiver ihp120/140 but it has been discontinued for 20 years and finding a reliable used sample proves to be difficult.

I also looked at the Zoom and Roland recorders but they only provide analog in recording.

I don’t mind a desktop setup but would strongly prefer a portable device that I can play music with.

any recomendations? Thanks.

I just realized I'm in the same boat. I recently needed to record something but wanted something portable. All the Daps i have is missing this feature.

May 21, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 8
Sony has a good line of portable pcm and dsd recorders, look into those.

May 21, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 8
Sony has a good line of portable pcm and dsd recorders, look into those.

You mean the non dap recorders right. I was hoping with fingers crossed an all in one dap would have this feature for what they cost these days but none so far i know of.

But i may just need to get a Sony or Zoom or Tascam. Just tired of more and more separate devices. It's silly old school walkmans did it all record play radio some line in

Jun 15, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 8
I found a really old iRiver that can do the trick, the iRiver iHP-120 (or the 140, and I think the 100 can do it as well). The problem is that it is so old it is impossible to find one in good condition. I used an optical to usb cable on Amazon, it worked but the quality was terrible.

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 8
I found a really old iRiver that can do the trick, the iRiver iHP-120 (or the 140, and I think the 100 can do it as well). The problem is that it is so old it is impossible to find one in good condition. I used an optical to usb cable on Amazon, it worked but the quality was terrible.
Ah i remember those. I ended up going down the rabbit hole and obtained a Minidisc player recorder. For backup I also picked up a field recorder. Crazy I have all these devices when one thing should be able to do it all. Phones did until these idiots removed the headphone jack for profit to sell you wireless headphones.

Jun 15, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 8
You should be able to use the recording software varients from our 2 favourite audio player developers.

USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP)
Neutron Music Player

also do

USB Audio Recorder Pro
Neutron Audio Recorder

They use USB drivers so you can attach USB audio interfaces. Some will have spdif and there are some battery powered too.

More info here on USB Audio Recorder Pro with a big list of supported devices further down
https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/technology/usb-audio-driver

Jun 15, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 8
You should be able to use the recording software varients from our 2 favourite audio player developers.

USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP)
Neutron Music Player

also do

USB Audio Recorder Pro
Neutron Audio Recorder

They use USB drivers so you can attach USB audio interfaces. Some will have spdif and there are some battery powered too.

More info here on USB Audio Recorder Pro with a big list of supported devices further down
https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/technology/usb-audio-driver

Good call, although i tried UAPP, had issues with it on DX320. Neutron does not work for me on the DX320 but i am running older firmware. Thanks So far the Minidisc and Field recorder is doing the job. I was looking at the Teenage Engineering T7 but that price is nuts ... I still want it though lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back