Plasma HDTV - Less than $1500
Sep 10, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, the model number is PDP-5080. Cheers.

That set gets great reviews but is twice my budget in USD. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with Panasonic till the end here. Speaking of Viera plasmas, which is a better deal: a 42" 1080P Plasma for $1100, or a 50" 720P Plasma for around the same price? I know conventional wisdom suggests I buy the bigger set, but is 1366 x 768 "too low" for that sized TV?

I'm thinking of this one.

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #17 of 19
Pioneer Pro 1150HD when you find a solid used one or even get in on a nice deal from a dealer closing them out since the 9G's have been here for a bit now.

Panasonic 50PH11UK if you want only the best Panasonic can do. Their consumer sets are not on the same page as the commercial sets. But to get the most out of the commercial version listed above, or the Pioneer mentioned, is having both displays calibrated by a professional that knows what they are doing.

Pioneer=black levels, excellent video processing

Panasonic Commercial=Able to do 1:1 pixel mapping=much sharper than the Pioneer, can do a boatload of things which is why it really needs a pro-calibration, and overall picture quality is more natural to my eyes.

I can "easily" live with either of these sets as a final set until the Pio Extreme Concept plasma arrives or does not arrive since Pio will be out of the Plasma game soon...hopefully not before bringing the best display the world has ever seen.

Ebay for the Pioneer 1150HD
Visualapex for the Panasonic

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That set gets great reviews but is twice my budget in USD. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with Panasonic till the end here. Speaking of Viera plasmas, which is a better deal: a 42" 1080P Plasma for $1100, or a 50" 720P Plasma for around the same price? I know conventional wisdom suggests I buy the bigger set, but is 1366 x 768 "too low" for that sized TV?

I'm thinking of this one.

Care to post the specific model numbers? 50" is where many people believe 1080p to become more important, but then again if your source isn't going to be 1080 then other things like the bit, contrast ratio, and colour reproduction are going to be more significant.

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #19 of 19
Go to a store and compare a 720 to a 1080 from the distance you will sit in your own home. Chances are you won't see a difference. But if you do or you think you'll later wonder if you should have, then get the 1080. If you are not the type to second-guess your choices then delete the second clause above.

Mooch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back