Planar Magnetic Headphones and heart pacemakers
Dec 3, 2017 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kenion

100+ Head-Fier
So this question might be a bit unusual but I haven't read anything about it yet and after watching how extremly strong those magnets being used - especially in Planar magnetic tech headphones - I was wondering if those two things could get along well...

My grandfather is using a pacemaker (thats the thing that is keeping him alive right now) and I actually got planar magnetic headphones I wanted him to use and try out.

Well, after seeing this video interview with Audeze: ,
I was well impressed with the shier force those magnets have.
What do you guys think? Could a pair of Audeze's LCD's for example damage a pacemaker?

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 6
I do not have an answer to that. But it's a very valid question.

I am also into watches. I always worry magnets in my headphones can damage my automatic watches. But of course, they are not nearly as important as a pacemaker.

Hey eywleung,
Thank you! I wasn't sure to ask this question here as I thought people may not find it to be a valid question. But now as you just said, it may have an impact to other devices as well. That video was quite an eye opener seeing how powerful those magnets are (and may even get in the future).

May 12, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 6
Sorry, just came upon this short thread as I was looking for an answer to precisely this question since I was wondering about getting some planar magnetic headphones.

The American Heart Association says:

Most headphones contain a magnetic material that can interfere with ICDs and pacemakers. Both earbud and clip-on headphones can cause interference. So, bear in mind:
  • Keep headphones at least six inches away from your ICD or pacemaker.
  • Don’t allow someone wearing headphones to rest his or her head on your chest.
  • Don’t place headphones in your breast pocket.
  • Don’t drape headphones around your neck so that they hang on your chest.

May 12, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 6
I use an EMI detector phone app that uses a phones magnetometer to measure USB ports for noise. Might be useful to check the distance from a headphone driver to see the distance and how strong the magnetic field reads compared to other devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back