Pigtail cable vs. adapter
Jun 5, 2022 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

corygrapher

Head-Fier
Currently, I am looking for a solution to use my 2.5mm silver cable on my DAC which only has 3.5mm and XLR sockets.
I found that there are several options:
1. a 2.5mm to 3.5mm/XLR adapter like this: https://www.plussoundaudio.com/cust...e=Micro-Series-Termination-Adapter-p250261068
2. a 3-inch 2.5mm to 3.5mm/XLR cable, built with the same material as my cable's
3. a 3-inch 2.5mm to 3.5mm/XLR pure OCC copper cable (same material as the adapter I guess)

The question is how much will these solutions sound different? Do short pigtail cables really color the sound? I am asking cause I personally prefer a pigtail over adapters as it looks cleaner on the DAC. Seeking your suggestions. Thank you.

Jun 5, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't think there would be an audible difference with anything of decent quality.

Jun 5, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 5
Currently, I am looking for a solution to use my 2.5mm silver cable on my DAC which only has 3.5mm and XLR sockets.
I found that there are several options:
1. a 2.5mm to 3.5mm/XLR adapter like this: https://www.plussoundaudio.com/cust...e=Micro-Series-Termination-Adapter-p250261068
2. a 3-inch 2.5mm to 3.5mm/XLR cable, built with the same material as my cable's
3. a 3-inch 2.5mm to 3.5mm/XLR pure OCC copper cable (same material as the adapter I guess)

The question is how much will these solutions sound different? Do short pigtail cables really color the sound? I am asking cause I personally prefer a pigtail over adapters as it looks cleaner on the DAC. Seeking your suggestions. Thank you.

What about just getting the cable reterminated or do you want to preserve the 2.5 for another reason?
Plussound does great work reterminating cables. I've done it several times over the years.

Jun 5, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 5
What about just getting the cable reterminated or do you want to preserve the 2.5 for another reason?
Plussound does great work reterminating cables. I've done it several times over the years.
I would like to keep the 2.5mm for my SP2K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back