Pictures of my DIY portable rig.
Aug 8, 2001 at 8:53 PM Post #16 of 19
artmusic247~

Very nice! THanks for sharing !

Tides

Aug 9, 2001 at 4:15 AM Post #17 of 19
Forgot to ask the first time, but how long did it take you to make the rack? And is it from recycled materials or did you buy fresh stock (the only source of small amounts of sheet metal etc. I know of is from www.smallparts.com ). And where is that light from?

Hmm... I think I will have to try that mic positioning myself now. Yeah I know about binaural recordings, it can sound REALLY good to say the least =)

Aug 9, 2001 at 11:08 PM Post #18 of 19
livingplasma, it took me a whole day to make the rack. Believe it or not, all I used was a hack saw, a couple files and some wet/dry sandpaper. The design of the rack and deciding what materials to use took me about a month. Yes, all the parts could be found at Small Parts but I got everything locally. The aluminum I got at a hobby store sold in 6 x 8 sheets and the standoffs I got at a electronics store. Other screws and stuff I got at a hardware store.

The lights are just two LED lights mounted on a bent piece of aluminum tubing and covered in black strink wrap and powered by a 9v battery.

Aug 10, 2001 at 4:06 PM Post #19 of 19
Very, Very Nice. Great ideas and metalworking. This gear shows efforts in many areas of DIY. Creativity abounds here. As a pro concert recording engineer, I see lots of new ideas here. The lights are not just for looks. They are absolutely necessary if one is to be able to monitor recording levels from a tiny screen in a concert situation.
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back