picking between headphones for gaming
Jul 22, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #31 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobija /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello. This is hopefully the last topic i start about this ONE issue. I have posted three times and third times the charm. So anyway, i posted about gaming headphones, and everyone said to get the denon 1001's. Then on my second post, a person posted to get the Audio-Technica ATH-M50. They both seem like very good headphones. here is basically for what i am looking for. Thanks for everyone who has already helped me
tongue_smile.gif

general:

-excellent soundstage

-closed

-comfortable for long uses

-no amp needed

-no microphone

-looks "decent" (not really nerdy ;D ) basically nothing that looks like the Audio-Technica ATH-A700

-noise cancelling, but not like total block out (not necessary)

specifics:

-under $150

-Circumaural

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so yeah, currently i am trying to see which one to get between the denons and the audio technicas

p.s. if you didnt notice, both headphones basically check off on majority of all these things i want (probably the denon's are just going to be better for longer times wearing them) Also, what material are the headphone pads made of (like the inside part were the headphones touch your ears

Hi Cobija,

Have you tried this one: Hyundai CJC 9200, I am using this headphone and amazed by the effects it brings me (I didn't expect 'BASS' effect when I play Monster Hunter 2), I would recommend this to everyone. The specs are alike Pioneer HDJ-1000 and most importantly it suits most of your requirement, I bought from the following ebay few months ago (actually I bought several pairs for my friends):

HYUNDAI Gaming Multimedia PC Headphone PSP DJ Headphone - eBay (item 260441864020 end time Aug-05-09 03:20:29 PDT)

Hope you find it useful~

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #32 of 107
Hi Cobija,

Have you tried this one: Hyundai CJC 9200, I am using this headphone and amazed by the effects it brings me (I didn't expect 'BASS' effect when I play Monster Hunter 2, but I was astonished when I feel it, I was playing with my PSP at that time!), I would recommend this to everyone. The specs are alike Pioneer HDJ-1000 and most importantly it suits most of your requirement, I bought from the following ebay few months ago (actually I bought several pairs for my friends):

HYUNDAI Gaming Multimedia PC Headphone PSP DJ Headphone - eBay (item 260441864020 end time Aug-05-09 03:20:29 PDT)

Hope you find it useful~

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #33 of 107
You definitely don't need a new PSU for a little soundcard. They use hardly any power. I would suggest getting a soundcard, integrated sound is usually horrible, at best sub-par. I have the x-fi elite pro blah blah, which is pretty good, until it had a s**t last week (sounds like it got blown out, if that's possible, so I'm relying on my pico dac 100%) Creative is known for horrible drivers and software, but if you can get that stuff to behave, they're the best, they have all the top-notch features. BTW, heard the new xfi's don't have support for 64 bit which is a complete deal breaker if you have a good system (with more than 4 gigs of ram). I haven't had one of Asus' soundcards, or any other for that matter, but hear the Asus' are somewhat janky from a technical perspective (in how they implement some features).

As far as headphones, I would suggest the 770's if you can buy it used. Brand new its out of your price-range, but I saw a pair in the marketplace a few minutes before coming across this post.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs-dt770-pro-435618/

I have the 770's and 880's in 250Ω, and the 990's in 600Ω, and I happen to game a lot, besides music and movies. I think the 770's are the best for gaming, though since you don't have an amp, try to go for the 80Ω's if you can. If you get a sound card though, getting the 250Ω wouldn't be as bad since soundcards are decent at driving higher impedance stuff (well, at least better than, say an Ipod).

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #35 of 107
haha thank you for that. i asked him to pm me. So basically what i am now trying to pick is between getting a new sound card AND new headphones or just new headphones. my onboard sound seems pretty decent.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #37 of 107
FWIR, I suggest buying a used 80 Ohm DT770 Pro. It has the form factor you're wanting, is very comfortable, and has good sound stage.

And, I recommend buying a used C-Media Diamond XtremeSound sound card, CMI8768, which is what I use with driver version 5.12.8.1508. It has the ability to play headphones very loud, which should help drive the DT770/80 better than some other cheaper sound cards like the SoundBlaster Live (which I used to own).

Together these two should come out to no more than $150. But I don't suggest using the DT770/80 from your on board sound because I think this sound card will really help it perform better. I bought mine for under $10. There's one on eBay being auctioned off in about 8 hours for $11.

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #39 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, I suggest buying a used 80 Ohm DT770 Pro. It has the form factor you're wanting, is very comfortable, and has good sound stage.

And, I recommend buying a used C-Media Diamond XtremeSound sound card, CMI8768, which is what I use with driver version 5.12.8.1508. It has the ability to play headphones very loud, which should help drive the DT770/80 better than some other cheaper sound cards like the SoundBlaster Live (which I used to own).

Together these two should come out to no more than $150. But I don't suggest using the DT770/80 from your on board sound because I think this sound card will really help it perform better. I bought mine for under $10. There's one on eBay being auctioned off in about 8 hours for $11.

Hey thanks. here is a link for one sold here for $135 used. looks to be in good condition. plus, its probably burned in already

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs-dt770-pro-435618/

can you quickly give me the link to the $11 one you said?

so yeah $135+$11 is under $150 =)

EDIT!!!!!

is this what you are talking about??

DIAMOND XtremeSound 5.1/16 bit Sound Card - eBay (item 380139846317 end time Jul-22-09 19:46:09 PDT)

i asked the seller to hold off on it for a day in case this is not the right one.

EDIT#2:

i found this as well. same one?? it seems for $15 and its from a power seller

7.1 PCI SOUND CARD CARDS 8 CHANNEL 8CH C-MEDIA CMI8768 - eBay (item 250455244137 end time Jul-29-09 16:04:13 PDT)

Jul 23, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #40 of 107
Sorry, the one I found on eBay (ships to USA) and the one you found are 16 bit codec and so are different than mine.

Here is the one that I have, which is 24 codec. I can only guess it is better than the 16 bit codec models. And so I can only recommend the one that I have, the XS71. You can find these by searching "diamond xtremesound" or "XS71". Might be tough to come by shipped to PR and within your budget.

Edit:
Since we're now talking about a source from a computer, I suggest also reading and posting in the computer source forum. Maybe one of those other C-Media cards would work well for you; I don't know.

Jul 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #43 of 107
Cob, you might want to check these out:

Amazon.com: Logitech G35 7.1-Channel Surround Sound Headset: Electronics

Since you don't have a sound card, these might work better with your budget. I am not a big fan of USB nor surround headphones, but they do a job pin pointing positions. I wouldn't cheap out on a sound card also if you decided to go that route. It's rather critical for gaming.

I use z5500 and X-Fi for gaming. Not the best sound quality for music, but the combo fills my gaming need pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back