Pick me a power conditioner
Jul 27, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #91 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up a Furman Power Station PST-8D and was wondering if it would have been better to get a power conditioner. Also does anyone know how you calculate 15 amps in regards to equipment.

The PST-8D is considered a power conditioner, but it doesn't regulate the voltage though.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #92 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PST-8D is considered a power conditioner, but it doesn't regulate the voltage though.

So what does that mean exactly?

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #95 of 98
How voltage regulation affects sonic performance is a big question mark. Some might say it is good, bad, or have no effect. It could help protect your gear better than power conditioners that don't have voltage regulators though, voltage fluctuations may be more common than you think. Just for fun I kept on testing out the built-in voltage protection inside my Phoenix headphone amp. I have it hooked up to the Furman AC-215 which does not have a voltage regulator function. Then I kept turning on a fan connected to a surge protector by using the on/off switch of the surge protector. Every time I did so it caused such a fluctuation in my power that it would trigger my headphone amp's protection to set the volume to the lowest, which would only goes back to proper volume by adjusting the volume up or down. Every time your refrigerator turns on and off it does something similar but maybe not as dramatic as that ghetto surge protector.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #96 of 98
Ok thank you for the info. The PST is really only a temporary solution and as such I just want to make sure my equipment doesn't fry in the mean time. SQ and PQ improvement would be nice but the reason I didn't go with one of the voltage regulators is because if I didn't get a HQ one, there might be a negative effect on my equipment.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #97 of 98
The PL-8 C has their LiFT technology that filters the power. Now that I've had it a few days I feel better able to comment on it.

Keep in mind, the power in my home is very noisy and I was getting a nasty buzz in my right monitor (left monitor as well but it wasn't as loud).

As a result of adding in the PL-8 C I am no longer hearing the buzzing at all. There is a slight hiss to my speakers, but that is likely caused by the amplification on the speakers themselves. The hiss is only noticeable if I put my ear within a couple inches of the tweeter. Sound quality has most definitely improved. The improvement is across the board, but is most noticeable in the bass notes that are VERY SIGNIFICANTLY more defined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back