Physically slim (or just small) mid-fi <$1000 dap that you guys can recommend?
Mar 9, 2024 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

opis

Head-Fier
Hi frends. So I'm looking for a new DAP.

I currently have an A&K SR25 which (besides the absolutely magnificent audio quality) is not for me for a multitude of reasons, the two big relevant ones here being that it 1) has terrible physical design for me, it's just not well designed for being used on the go with tight jeans (which is central for me), the sharp edges have, by now, cut a hole through the bottom of the pocket of every pair of jeans that I own, it has buttons protruding that you can't lock/disable/turn off which I press acidentally all the time while it's in my pocket etc. and 2) it has locked apps, you can't use last.fm or similar to scrobble (or any other apps that isn't on their short list). it's a good dap if these are not your requirements but they are for me so I need something new (also the battery has started ballooning..).

So, I'm looking for a new DAP, slim, preferably with rounded edges this time and that sports an open Android OS so I can get some scrobbling apps on there. Budget preferably around $600 ish +- $200-300, say.

This time I was curious: how slim, as in physically thin in millimetres, can a mid-fi dap get nowadays? It's pocket comfort I'm after here. Small is also good in general. I've looked around through some common brands, and for example the Sony NW-ZX507 is under 15mm (14.8 mm) thin and pretty small in size otherwise (122 x 58 mm). I've skimmed through some of the usual suspects like Fiio, Hiby etc. but may very well have missed something, and there are several brands I don't know much about.

I have no lower range on the budget if there are some smaller daps that are good bang for the buck, for example I was pondering the smaller Shanling ones but I do need an open Android OS on there, but I would've loved to try something like a Q1 if only it had Android on there, it doesn't have to be top of my price range if it's good is my point.

Pairing is mainly going to be ie600s for what it's worth.

Any suggestions? Happy for any input.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 2
Well, the NWzx507 can lock the buttons with a switch that's quite rigid so there's no buttons being pressed.
Also, it is really nice sounding in my opinion. Also 4.4mm I can't go back to 3.5mm at this point, balanced is so much nicer.

Though, One thing I will say is that the NWzx507 does get suprisingly cheap on eBay if too many people are selling at once. I'd watch for that and you might just get it for a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back