Phonitor Xe vs Bryston BHA1
Apr 6, 2022 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

James824

Head-Fier
As the search for my next Headphone Amp (no DAC) continues, I am still on the fence with going tubes vs SS.

If I go tube, the Woo WA2 will probably be my amp.

If I go SS, I have narrowed it down to the Brytson BHA 1 or Phonitor Xe.

Anyone hear have experience with either and care to comment?

I know Brytson has a great warranty and is built like a tank. I have heard great things about the Phonitor's performace but not much about reliability and warranty.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Apr 6, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 8
As the search for my next Headphone Amp (no DAC) continues, I am still on the fence with going tubes vs SS.

If I go tube, the Woo WA2 will probably be my amp.

If I go SS, I have narrowed it down to the Brytson BHA 1 or Phonitor Xe.

Anyone hear have experience with either and care to comment?

I know Brytson has a great warranty and is built like a tank. I have heard great things about the Phonitor's performace but not much about reliability and warranty.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
What headphone(s) will you use? I ask because the Woo WA2 is a high-impedance OTL h/p/a suited for high-impedance h/p. It is fantastic with ZMFs, Beyer DT880 (600 ohm), Senn HD600…Also, you might look into Violectric V550 or V340 as SS choices: these are good with high-impedance h/p as well as low-impedance h/p.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 8
I have the Woo WA2 (see my ‘signature’) and highly recommend it for your headphones. If you go that amp route, I can give you some tube suggestions.

Apr 6, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #5 of 8
I have the Woo WA2 (see my ‘signature’) and highly recommend it for your headphones. If you go that amp route, I can give you some tube suggestions.
Thank you and will definitely take you up on your suggestions/

I am strongly leaning towards the WA2, as I believe tube listening lends itself best for digital files. I have enjoyed my WA7 (Gen 2) for many years and support from Woo has been fantastic. Now planning to make the leap to a dedicated headphone amp for my main system.

Apr 6, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 8
I had a Phonitor XE and really enjoyed it. However, with that in mind... TUBES!!!

Apr 6, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Have the Phonitor and had the Bryston and with your headphones the WA2 is the best choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back