Phonitor Mini vs AMI Musik DDH-1
Mar 19, 2017 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

sunToxx

Head-Fier
I'm about to buy my first headphone amp, to pair it with a DT1770 Pro. As a base I will use a Creative Soundblaster Z. It is really a surprising flood of possible components available but I think I found 2 that I am very interested in. After lots of reading and searching I found a local offer for an AMI Musik DDH-1 at a reduced price of 490€ (650€ normally). The reviews on 6moons and here sound quite compelling. At least the parts I understand
rolleyes.gif

The other device that sounds really good to me, is the Phonitor Mini. It costs about 580€ here and it does not contain a DAC unlike the AMI Musik.

1) Now one question is, how much amp quality would I sacrifice, if I go for the AMI amp/DAC combo, ie how much better is the Phonitor amp, compared to the amp section of the AMI Musik DDH-1. I am aware that it's hard to say without actually trying it, but I assume someone who really understands those things can compare the specs and/or quality of the components and make a statement about how they compare. The review at 6moons lists about everything that is inside the AMI. The Phonitor is rather well known I suspect.

2) The other question is, will using the analogue-out of the Soundblaster Z be sufficient for a while, serving the Phonitor Mini as a DAC, until I buy a decent DAC. And is it very unlikely that the Phonitor Mini without DAC (using analogue line out of the soundblaster), beats the AMI Musik DDH-1 amp/DAC combo?

3) Personally I think I would go for the Phonitor and get a DAC later on, but what pricerange would a decent DAC for the Phonitor need to be?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back