Phone plus Chord Mojo vs dedicated DAP (A&K etc)
Dec 15, 2019 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AlexKx3

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been looking at expensive dedicated DAPs like the A&K cube, apart from conveneince and looks would this provide better SQ than a chord mojo tethered to a smart phone with a hi-res player such as hiby?

Grateful for any insight.

Thanks,

Alex

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 3
Excluding the form factor, they both have drawbacks on the software side of things:

Phone + DAC
- For Android phones native playback and streaming apps default to using the Android System Audio (not sure if that's what it's called) which resamples to 48khz i believe.
- You can get around this by using USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) or the Onkyo App. I use UAPP and it works well. Pretty decent interface but only works with Tidal and Qobuz.
- UAPP doesn't appear to have podcast support (at least i haven' found it) and UAPP doesn't like to let go of the USB device easily which makes switching apps sometimes a pain.
- I believe iPhone has a max output resolution using the CCK but not sure what it is.

DAP
- Almost all are based on some form of Android and most are outdated and do not have access to Google Services which means using App's is tricky at best and a non starter at worst.

if you're just playing back files then you probably are not really bad off in either case. I do think the DAC's have more value but then you have two devices physically tethered to each other.

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 3
I choose DAP over the phone+amp dac combo because of form factor and also battery. I don't want to drain my phone battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back