Philips as a headphone company?
Sep 24, 2014 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jimmy80

Head-Fier
Hi,

I have been thinking about buying Philips headphones in the more expensive level(around $260), for example Philips Fidelio L2. Even if these headphones is new(from 2013) and thay cost about $260 there is no replacement earpads!?

I have really tried to get a hold of a pair to see how bad this really is. I have been in contact with both the UK and Sweden support for Philips and thay have made contacts internally to find a solution.

They have also pointed me to alternative parts resellers as if Philips itself dont know if there is any earpad replacement. All the resellers have said that there is only a cable as replacement so no solution here.

There is simple no replacement pads for the L2 and X1 headphones!! Yes The X2 might fit the X1 but L2 is still out of luck.

So, If one of the pads would break they expect us to throw the entire headphone away and buy a new pair for about $260!?

This also get you wounder how much this company is thinking about the enviroment? The earpads is a consumable part just as batteries and will have to be switched out at some point.

I have hade a pair of headphones for over 12 years, would the pads last this long?

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 4
The lifespan of pads is more to do with how they're stored - they tend not to do well in damp conditions for example.

If your current pads lasted 12 years then I don't see this as a problem but there's always the risk of accidents/pets etc.

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 4
This is something I see often : 

And it have nothing to do with damp conditions, its simple wear. My current pads have lasted 12 years but they have not been used for more the a couple of years and it is clear that they would need to change. Besides, its not leather, I suspect that fake leather will last not as long.

Besides, I have a hard time giving money to a company that do not even think about the environment. To me this could mean that thay also use not as good camicals(for humans) in there products.

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 4
That's more a symptom of our throwaway. money-first culture, I'm sure there are many companies and products we can cite as examples of this.

However I think there's a good chance you will find alternative pads, but of course you're still rolling the dice if you buy the L2 for example.

Your expectations are quite reasonable; I can only suggest that you change brand and go for something with better support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back