Phenomenon I have only seen on Head-Fi Classifieds...
May 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

theque

100+ Head-Fier
I do not buy a ton of used items, but I buy my share of fleebay stuff as my wife likes "vintage" items (a.k.a. old crap people do not want anymore...) With that, I certainly shop quite a bit on Amazon and locally.

Never have I seen so many listings that state "buyer pays PayPal fees, or gifted."

First, no where else have I even seen "buyer pays Fees."

Every credit card company charges between 1.4% and 3% fees to the vendor when they sell an item. If I go to a local store the price (save taxes) is shown clearly. They do not say $199.99 + Taxes + CC fees. When I go to a fair or festival and purchase from private vendors using Square or equivalent (upwards of 4% in some cases) I have never seen a sign saying "Buyer pays Square Fees." If you cannot "afford" the transaction fees, then account for it in the listed price...

Secondly, anyone who gifts money for a purchase from a random stranger is off their rocker. If you did not understand, PayPal considers this a GIFT. So even if that person had intentions of scamming you (not sending item, or sending broken item) PayPal will not help you at all. Their response will be that they cannot help retrieve money that was gifted.

Was just annoyed with this today. I mean I would not pay posted price ever. If I cannot show my wife I payed at least something under the listed price for a used item, she would skin me an not let me buy anything again. I would, and have made it clear that the price I have just stated includes all fees. Was still annoying to see, especially all the gift requests to save 3% on a vast majority of items well under $500 (yea, a whopping $15 or less in fees).

-Ray

May 18, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 2
Was just annoyed with this today. I mean I would not pay posted price ever. If I cannot show my wife I payed at least something under the listed price for a used item, she would skin me an not let me buy anything again. I would, and have made it clear that the price I have just stated includes all fees. Was still annoying to see, especially all the gift requests to save 3% on a vast majority of items well under $500 (yea, a whopping $15 or less in fees).

For real?

credit.jpg

Yeah, it is pretty tight though, expecting the buyer to pick up transaction fees. As a seller, it's the cost you should expect to pay for using these sites' services to gain access to a global marketplace - the alternative is to stand on a street corner trying to offload your unwanted gear on passersby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back