Pete Millet's Hybrid amp.
Nov 15, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 7
That's pretty cool. Printed boards available and everything. Looks like an easy little tube amp to build. Someone should definitely give it a try and let us know how it sounds.

kerely

Nov 15, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 7
Good find Gman-

If you go to the DIYCable link it says that they may offer a DIY headphone kit in the near future.
smily_headphones1.gif
Doesn't say if it will be SS, tube or hybrid though.

Nov 19, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 7
Hello,

I find this design very interesting and from the looks of it it may be a better performer that the MF XCANS.

The BUF634T on the output most likely makes driving a broader range of phones (impedance wise) possible.

AudioXpress want you to rather buy the magazine and are not giving out specs and other information.

Do you guys seen the magazine with the related article.

Are the any other tubes that will work in this circuit.

Gavin
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2002 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Can anyone more knowledgable tells me what's the adv/disadv of using low-voltage tube for HP amp?? I guess the most obvious reason being reduced chance of newbie DIYer getting electrocuted, but sonically, is it inferior than high-voltage tube amps??

It looks like a fun project for Christmas.

Nov 20, 2002 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 7
Low voltage equals less heat and parts failure. In this respect, I am thinking of resistor failure. I mean, if you have a section of an amp running 350 volts, your resistors on that section will take a beating. Thus, the reliability of the amp is better with lower voltages.

To sum up: High voltages are tough on components, esp resistors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back