People with tinnitus, assemble!
Feb 22, 2024 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aliv3

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

So recently I developed tinnitus and i think my hifiman Arya and my beloved IE 600 are aggravating this issue because they are a bit bright.
So people who has this issue what audio equipment are you guys using? I’m just curiou. Do you guys think the in ears with bone conduction technology are ok use or just headphones?

Cumps.

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 9
I use headphone on-ear / over-ear and IEMs. No system has changed my tinitus. It's still there and still the ame frequency. Time of use and volume also had no negative influence on the tinnitus. So I don't care about equipment.....

But that will be more of a personal thing. Tinnitus is not only caused by damage to the inner ear, but can also have a psychological cause (stress, etc.).

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 9
No lie, i had a REALLY bad case of tinnitus a few weeks ago after switching out my Auteur Hybrids for the lambskins (was feeling adventerous) - for some reason ZMF cans with the lambs or Hifiman planars make my tinnitus go wild.

anyway, I got the abyss diana phi a couple weeks ago and i swear: my tinnitus completely went away soon after I started listening to them. i swear it: it was SO BAD but I didn't care I wanted to hear my new 'phones and by the time the first album was gone the tinnitus was just gone too. never had anything like that happen in my life. maybe the way planars work? up to now i've had mostly dynamic other than some Hifiman (he400i and sundara).

maybe try getting a pair of abyss planars?

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 9
This is what made me hesitant about upgrading my setup. I feel more obligated to use my headphones at a "good" listening volume so I'm a bit worried to get tinnitus in the future. Is there software to check if the volume your listening at is too high?

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 9
I
No lie, i had a REALLY bad case of tinnitus a few weeks ago after switching out my Auteur Hybrids for the lambskins (was feeling adventerous) - for some reason ZMF cans with the lambs or Hifiman planars make my tinnitus go wild.

anyway, I got the abyss diana phi a couple weeks ago and i swear: my tinnitus completely went away soon after I started listening to them. i swear it: it was SO BAD but I didn't care I wanted to hear my new 'phones and by the time the first album was gone the tinnitus was just gone too. never had anything like that happen in my life. maybe the way planars work? up to now i've had mostly dynamic other than some Hifiman (he400i and sundara).

maybe try getting a pair of abyss planars?
I’ve Audeze LCD an i doesn’t notice any differenc from dynamic for example.

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 9
I think my tinnitus is what made me such a basshead. Too many loud rock concerts as a teenager. My tinnitus is perfectly manageable and 99% of the time I'm unaware of it, but it's there, and it tends to make me treble-sensitive and brighter gear fatigues me pretty quickly.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 9
I have some tinnitius, probably from past indiscretions with headphones. That keeps the volume down for me so it isn't made any worse, but that's okay; I usually am on the quiet side of things anyway. If I need headphones to block out noise I'll do it with isolation rather than volume. Circumaural closed cans are some of my favorites, with a pair of Etymotics 4Ps still winning the Isolation Wars.

I have a Sennheiser HD1 that has active noise cancellation and that doesn't seem to bother my tinnitus either way. When faced with the right kind of sound - droning, similar pitched noise - it does a good job, but doesn't keep conversations or whatever out. Airplane noise or air conditioners though, it cuts right through. They're getting old enough that the batteries are going and I don't use them as much as I used to. For a while they've been the best headphone I've had with a mic and I've used them for a lot of phone calls and video calls, but not a lot of music lately. Used to wear them at the office where they got more music than they do here.

On the other hand, I have a pair of Google Pixel Buds that I got bundled with a phone, and they do seem to irritate my tinnitius. Unsure why, but the ringing always seems louder after I wear them for a while. I rarely wear them, but mostly because I don't find them very comfortable and I don't think they sound very well. That's a combination I don't care for, and it leads to them being rarely used.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #8 of 9
I have tinnitus in my left ear caused by a slight high frequency hearing loss in that ear only which is a result of bird and small game shooting with shotguns and small centrefire rifles in younger years.

It manifests as a permanent high frequency screeching luckily at a low volume such that I am mostly unaware of it. I guess having lived with it for about 30 years my brain switches off.

I use headphones and IEM, planars, dynamic and hybrids and I do tend to listen somewhat loud and I have never noticed any change in the high frequency noise for the better or worse even temporarily.

I tend to favour a V shaped tuning with decent but not overdone bass and crisp treble. I have the IE600 which I like a lot and don’t find the treble a problem in any way,

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #9 of 9
I have had tinnitus since the mid to late 80s.

I blame it on listening to Sigue Sigue Sputnik on my mate's Sony Walkman at too high a level!

Actually, I think that my tinnitus is hereditary because my Mum has it, my late grandfather had it and even my youngest daughter has it.

Mine sounds like the flash on a camera charging up. I also get some whooshes at times as well.

It does not change when I listen on my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back