people with er4p -> er4s adapter! questioN!
Oct 8, 2003 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DsLFoolisH

100+ Head-Fier
i stopped by radio shack today and picked up a cable and some resistors to make my own er4p->er4s adapter. well, not its done, i basically added 75 ohm of resistance between each channel's wires. however, im not hearing a large volume difference. as far as sound quality is concerned, im not sure if i hear any improvement yet.

the volume difference is only very slight, with the adapter, a little softer when volume is kept constant. however, not big difference. even my portable cd player AND my sony n505 MD player can drive the headphones with the adapter very loud.

i thought the er4s was supposed to be very tough for portables to drive? and much different in volume compared to the er4p? im wondering if i did something wrong.... but it doesnt seem to be possible to screw up on something as simple as:

/----resistor----- (Left channel)----\
[mini]== ------------------ (ground)---------==[mini plug]
\----resistor---- (right channel)----/

Oct 9, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 6
Are you sure you hooked it up right? The resistors should be in series with the headphones, so:

Left input --> resistor --> left output

Input ground --> Output ground

Right input --> resistor --> right output

Pics?

Oct 9, 2003 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 6
im pretty positive i did it right.

when i cut the wires, they had the copper (ground) red and white wires.

i just added the resistors inbetween the red wires. and the white wires.

so it was like:

red wire--->resistor--->red wire
copper wire---->copper wire
white wire---->resistor-->white wire

theres no way you can attach resistors backwards right? hmm, i think ive done something wrong...

Oct 11, 2003 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by DsLFoolisH
oh, and i bought 1/2 watt resistors. there were 1/4 watt resistors too. i figured they had no difference. do they?

Yes. Just a difference in physical size, the 1/4 watt resistors are smaller and easier to fit into a jack plug. The 1/2 watt resistors will do exactly the same job as the 1/4 but are just bigger.

Pinkie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back