Patricia Barber at the Green Mill
Nov 22, 2001 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

reynman

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings from the great mecca of Bowling Green Ohio!

I saw Patricia Barber at the Green Mill this past Monday evening. Hanging with close friends and chilling out. Great performance individually and as a group. Standouts for me where Besa me mucho, Norwegian Wood, She's a Lady. I forgot how much character the Green Mill has. Must go back more often. I hadn't been in quite a few years.

I had a chance to meet Mike Jazz, the bassist and fellow Head-Fier. Great guy! According to one fan, "You're a genius!"We talked shop (headphones) and his experiences with different phones especially the Beyer 770s. I told him about the Chicago meeting and that it was going to be at Etymotics. He is in the market for some Etys. go figure! Mike Jazz, sorry couldn't stay for Blackbird, but the woman in the front row screaming it out after every song kinda spoiled it for me.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Regards - reynman

Nov 22, 2001 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 8
Hey Reynman,
I've been to that monday night set many times and she never fails to give a great performance.I love the Green Mill and do not understand the detractors who want to see it gone.I was there on November 9, to see the singer Rene' Marie.Her show was awesome. I'm glad to hear that you get out to see some live music.I think Kurt Elling will be back in town for the holiday season starting next week.He should be there the week of the Head-Fi gathering.Unfourtunatly I think Ms. Barber will be out of town that week.But if you like blues Buddy Guy has an terrific line-up for his club that weekend.

Nov 24, 2001 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Tuberoller,

One of the friends I was with is a huge Kurt Elling fan and has seen him at the Green Mill and at Ravinia quite a few times. I live a few blocks from Buddy Guy's, I'm in the South Loop. I have frequented his place for the food more often than the music.

We'll see you at the Head-fi meeting or at the Green Mill sometime.

regards - reynman

Nov 25, 2001 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Miss Barber has a GREAT band. I saw her at Lincoln Park last year but I have never made it to the Green Mill.

I'd love to hear what her amazing bass player, Mike Jazz, had to say about the 770s.

What's the cover to get in to the Green Mill?

Hope to see you Saturday at Etymotic!

Nov 25, 2001 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Hi Guys
Just to let you know, I have 990 Pro's(250 ohm). I got them for studio recording. ( my bass sounds better in the studio with 990's, rather than Grados or Sennheisers) I like them for headphone listening, although the upper bass is a little bloated. All in all. one of my favorite phones. Non-fatiguing. Most other phones give me a headache after a few minutes. As do most hi-fi speakers. ( but not my Proacs )I'm looking for the best price on ETY 4p's. I do a lot of listening in planes and busses, and wanted the isolation.( although I haven't heard them yet) Just thought I'd make the cables with the resistors for them. Thanks for coming out to the"Mill. Glad you;re enjoying the music.

Nov 25, 2001 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 8
Michael,

Nice to see you around again! It has been a while since you've posted (I know how much you travel, so it's not surprising). I hope to see you around more often.

If you didn't already know, there's a Chicago Get-Together happening on December 1, 2001. It's being held at the Etymotic Research facility in Elk Grove Village, and HeadRoom is coming with their whole line of gear. It'll run from about 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (you don't have to stay the whole time).

If you want to attend, please let me know at jude@head-fi.com and let me know how many guests you'll be bringing (if any). I'm sure everyone'd love to see you out there. And it'll also let you hear those Etys firsthand!

Nov 26, 2001 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 8
mikejazz,

Sorry about the wrong cans in my post! 'Hope to see you this coming Saturday!

regards - reynman

Nov 26, 2001 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 8
PB at the Green Mill is a great show. The only think that kinda freaked me out last time was the Gay guy sitting next to me who kept rubbing against my leg when he would turn around to rub up against his partner. To each his own I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back