Pass Labs Whammy Headphone Amp
Dec 9, 2019 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jimmy24

Member of the Trade: TheHeadAmpBuilder
Formerly known as Jimbo24
Thought this amp deserved its own thread on here in full size amps. For the price of $189 + chassis the amp sounds amazing. Great for first time builders (just need some drill work for the chassis). Most of the solder work is simply stuffing the PCB. Amazing clarity, warmth, and punch but it's the sound stage that really shines. Jim Tiemann aka 6L6 of DIYAudio has been kind enough to coordinate the project and has been instrumental in making it accessible.

You can read more about the project here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/317803-whammy-pass-diy-headphone-amp-guide.html

Boards and parts can be purchased here: https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/printed-circuit-boards/products/whammy

Manual here: https://guides.diyaudio.com/Guide/WHAMMY+headphone+amplifier/3?lang=en

And you can learn more about the circuit design here:

Feb 8, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 14
Anyone using these?

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 14
Oh yes!

20201009_175847.jpg
20201010_114713.jpg
20201010_120031.jpg

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 14
Day 7 with the new amp.

All the headphones I use with it just sound better. With the Focal Clears that “veil” we all refer to is well pretty much gone. The Clears become light saber detailed headphones. Resolution is first class. Period.

Light and airy…a real pleasure to listen with for hours…no glare or brightness unless its in the actual recording…

The soundstage with the Clears seem to get wider and deeper…not like an hd800/s but its better than ever. The overall tonality is sweet and al instruments sound like the instruments they are. Piano is well just like a piano and Eva Cassidy and Linda Rondstadt in Round Midnight is melt in your mouth good.

I was thinking of selling the Clears, but I have now changed my mind (this week) and sold my HD600’s instead. Why?

No Bass, even with this amp!

Yeah there’s some bass but its anemic at best and I don’t EQ…the Clears take over here and the 600’s wont be missed. Sad. But true for me.

I am glad i got a spare set of earpads for the Clears!!

Good Morning!
Happy New Year!

Alex

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 14
Day 7 with the new amp.

All the headphones I use with it just sound better. With the Focal Clears that “veil” we all refer to is well pretty much gone. The Clears become light saber detailed headphones. Resolution is first class. Period.

Light and airy…a real pleasure to listen with for hours…no glare or brightness unless its in the actual recording…

The soundstage with the Clears seem to get wider and deeper…not like an hd800/s but its better than ever. The overall tonality is sweet and al instruments sound like the instruments they are. Piano is well just like a piano and Eva Cassidy and Linda Rondstadt in Round Midnight is melt in your mouth good.

I was thinking of selling the Clears, but I have now changed my mind (this week) and sold my HD600’s instead. Why?

No Bass, even with this amp!

Yeah there’s some bass but its anemic at best and I don’t EQ…the Clears take over here and the 600’s wont be missed. Sad. But true for me.

I am glad i got a spare set of earpads for the Clears!!

Good Morning!
Happy New Year!

Alex

Alex, after seeing your post I went to build one for myself. Love the sound of this thing.i had no proper equipment to drill my chassis so that part was a bit of a pain. switched from an OP2134 pampered to the Sparkos SS3602 and the improvements were very noticeable.

@adydula i saw you had built the noir headamp before how do you think the whammy compare to the noir?
94CBD92E-5528-45B5-8313-1F4965315544.jpeg

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #8 of 14
I gave the Noir away to a friend...IMO the Whammy is the better choice.....I just like the crisp, clean, neutral sound. Simple design that just works with no added frills like crosstale, filters, multiple gains etc...

How does it compare to your THX amp?

Alex

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 14
I gave the Noir away to a friend...IMO the Whammy is the better choice.....I just like the crisp, clean, neutral sound. Simple design that just works with no added frills like crosstale, filters, multiple gains etc...

How does it compare to your THX amp?

Alex

So i do feel the THX is blacker but for me a bit too flat and cold. The Whammy to me sounds warmer and more dynamic, a bit tube like strangely... sound stage also a lot wider than the THX. So far I have thrown at the Whammy high impedance stuff like zmfs, and low Z focals, all sound really good, im quite pleased with it. I do notice a bit of a noise floor when i turn the volume down to 3pm on the whammy, but frankly I rarely have to turn it past 12 oclock so i guess its alright...

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 14
I installed two gain selections with my Whammy the original and a lower gain setting closer to unity gain...in the low gain I have zero noise at full volume. With the stock gain I hear a slight hiss at 3pm to full volume settings....I never get close to these areas. So for me its a non-issue.

I compare to the 10+ times the price HPA-1 and the sound is similiar...would be happy with either one....the preference is the HPA-1..just because of more power and fits over a wider variety of headphones for me.

Alex

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 14
I have settled in on the Burr Brown OP 2134...works with all my cans very well.

I just took it apart and cleaned some flux from the PCB from adding the test, now permanent 2 position gain switch.

This amp easily competes with many others out there. Schitt, Vioelectric, low end SPL's tc...a very nice clean design...

Sold my OC Clears for a set of MG Clears and its a very very nice match!

Alex

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 14
So I decided to try and maximize the WHAMMY's potential on the pair I built for my brothers as a holiday gift.

Schurter medical grade IEC, Schottky rectifiers, discrete regs, and Burson V6 opamp.

I was seriously impressed with the result. These amps can really sing. I could see this being endgame for many because you'd have to spend a whole lot more for very minimal improvement.

Attachments

• PXL_20211108_063315516.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211108_063315516.PORTRAIT.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20211108_054618595.jpg
    PXL_20211108_054618595.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Oct 26, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #13 of 14
Has anyone here compared the WHAMMY to Tangent's PPA amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back