party music HELP!
Feb 18, 2002 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
My father is hosting a huge 70th birthday party for my grandmother, and he's asked me to create two mixes for him. One dance, and one jazz(two types of music I don't listen to, although I've recently gotten into classic jazz). Suggestions of specific songs would be greatly appreciated. It would be even better for an entire list of a mix to make a complete 74min CD. These songs need to be widely available, as in I will be able to find it online and download it on mp3/mpc or something.

Feb 19, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 10
"My Favorite Things" by Coltrane for the jazz disc. That should kill 13 minutes right there.

Feb 19, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 10
B0000024JN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Feb 19, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 10
Blues: Howlin' Wolf. Killing Floor is my fave. Try some other sixties blues artists who have large bands, and an urban sound. That would work for me at a party.

I can't see 70 year olds liking modern dance stuff. Its so beat driven, and complex. I know people who might as well be 70
smily_headphones1.gif
and they really boogie to simple vocal driven pop. The best I could come up with is Boney M. Heh

Feb 19, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 10
I think he's aiming to please the entire crowd, the majority will be ppl in the late 30s - late 40s. Dance music is very popular in contemporary Korean culture, I don't understand it, but it's crazy. It's like Americanization gone wrong...
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2002 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 10
Ok then Abba. You can't go wrong with Abba. I'm not a huge fan of 80's dance anymore. It always sounds like something you'd listen to at a singles bar, rather than at a party - too cold and robotic, and those awful clap machines. You could also check out those Billboard charts / American Top 40. They sound like our local stations, that are aimed at the broadest audience - very non-edgy; a little something for everybody.

Feb 21, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 10
Feb 23, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 10
Hey, if you want some more suggestions, get some funk. Start with some KC and Sunshine Band stuff. Blues: BB King & Eric Clapton should work for the middle age crowd. Anything on the Blues Brothers soundtrack (great flick!) should do it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back