Parametric Equalizer for Mac. Good options?
Mar 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #16 of 17
Ditto on the Audio Hijack Pro being great. AHP is seriously cool. At $32 it's seriously useful.

I've been using Audio Hijack to access the Core AU functions for about two years, for high end audio speakers. I sometimes use a combination of 9 parametric eq's and one 31 band Graphic. It's pretty amazing how good it can get with this. After EQ'ing I use it to feed Amarra or Pure Music, in high end rigs.  It works incredibly well... and sounds awesome..... with some caveats. For example, always turn on AHP first, then iTunes or Amarra...or you may find it won't work.

As for measuring the output, you can use Fuzzmeasure 3 and run in subtractive mode, to compare the original vs the eq'd versions.... and it's a good idea...... because if the frequencies of the filters are close enough, they interact with each other, and unlike the Behringer DEQ2496 what you think would be there "graphically" and what actually gets created can be vastly different. And I mean VASTLY different, by as much as 9 dB in some situations. In one case it was over 9dB over a 3 OCTAVE band. So do NOT assume what you see on the graphic eq is actually close to the actual output. (This is not a fault of Audio Hijack Pro, it is the Core AU graphic EQ application that does this).

And the AHP setup files can be exported as an 8Kb attachment which you can email to yourself or others, kmaking it super easy to create and store multiple settings. Truly an awesome and under-appreciated part of what can be accessed with AHP. (Wish more vendors , especially Amarra would get with it and offer access to CoreAU functions... also... hello, Apple? What does it take for you make it for users to be able to access your OWN built-in functions????)

Have a look at my website at HolisticAudio dot com, it'll give you an idea of some of the things you can do with this. Don't be deterred by the apparent complexity of accessing via AHP, the results are really worth it!

And AHP does a ton of other cool things. $32 is nothing for a program like this. Seriously. Lose the cheapness and splurge for once. Some things are worth it. AHP certainly is.

No, I'm not affiliated with AHP, just a grateful user.

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #17 of 17
One way to verify the actual EQ curve is to run either a white noise source or a sweep generator and use a spectrum analyzer on the back end.  This yields a fairly decent look at the overall response curve.

And you can run dual (as in one on the front end and one on the back end) level meters to match the overall gain make sure that nothing is 'clipping'.  There is also a gain adjustment plugin to 'match' the input and output levels

And all of these plugins are available for free.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back