parallel universe
Oct 17, 2001 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
Not what you are thinking,not even close
very_evil_smiley.gif

But while visiting the bottlehead forum,as i do daily because I like the technical expertise over there i clicked this link
http://www.bottlehead.com/loosep/weekend.htm
and it came to me that a seriously large amount of folks that are into audio as a hobby are also into the shooting sports.as am i.
My imagination ? I think not
biggrin.gif

so stand up and be counted ye card carrying NRA members,gun sales are up and pity the foreign nation that even THINKS about starting **** here in the continental United States.Someone smell toast ?

Oct 18, 2001 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 10
It is almost time for our annual pumpkin slaughter! Pumpkins are free the day after haloween, so our ATF club takes a truckload out to the desert (mountain as a backstop) sets up orange orbs all over the place, and commences energy transfer via jacketed lead projectiles. What good fun!

btw we do not allow alcohol prior to or during shooting. Mandatory afterward, of course. Smoking cigars while shooting is allowed, but only if it does not interfere with your concentration or safe handling of a firearm.

More toys!

Oct 18, 2001 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 10
My gun days are over - for reasons i'd rather not discuss. But....

The most fun one I ever owned was a ClassIII Mac10 & suppressor. I got them in 1984 when I lived in New Mexico - probably the most free of the 50 states.

Anyway, I had to pay a $200.00 transfer tax for each component, get fingerprinted, and get permssion from the local sheriff. The BATF was wondering why a GI would want one, so they needed a letter from my commander. He only asked me 2 questions: Do I read SOF and do I go to Nicaragua when I go on leave?
A big "No Sir!!" was the answer. Three months later, I got the form I needed to legally own a very exotic piece of hardware.

It was the .45 version. In full auto, it cost $11.00/second to operate. It was a riot to take to the quarry that was south of Alamogordo, where lots of target shooters, plinkers, and other gun nuts would converge every Saturday morning. The area usually sounded like a war zone - until I let off a burst. Then the place got very quiet. Needless to say, it was a great conversation piece.

Every time I see one in a movie, I get a good laugh. They always get it terribly wrong.

After 3 years, I decided that of all the things I needed to be happy, a submachine gun was not one of them. I don't miss it, but it was a lot of fun. Owning one also puts one at a level of trust and responsibility that few Americans will ever understand.

I'd post the pictures if I had the equipment. In case you want to look it up, it was a RPB/MAC 10 ser# C-948. May '84 - Apr-'87.

Oct 18, 2001 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm a member of the NRA. And someday I hope to lobby for the prevention of hunting and to limit guns to shooting ranges 'cause I am a post-hippie-person
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2001 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 10
Sorry, hand guns are illegal here in the Uk ever since some nut case took 2 semi automatics into a Primary school and murdered loads of 6 yrs olds. The only gun you can get is rifles and shotguns and you'll need a licence & a good reason.

I do have a air pistol (need to be 18 to buy one but no need for a licence), quite powerful. Goes through coke cans and stuff but not a Hifi magazine (but it hurts a lot when get shot by one)? Only use it at home in the garden for a bit of fun in the weekends, got into it when a friend had one in university and I had a go and found it quite fun. And to load it, you need you pull the spring mechanism and it's a real work out to do it hundreds of time in a session.

Oct 20, 2001 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 10
I used to have a Gluck, with I sold before going to live in Miami. In there, I got a TEC DC-9, more like a toy really, but it had a menacing look I really liked, but I sold ita after some idiot killed a bunch of people with one. I also had a 38 special, a Lugger and one of those small handguns, can't remember the name, but all those tree are at my mother's house waiting for the next idiot who pisses off my old lady (jk
biggrin.gif
).

I allways took shooting as a way to kill stress and I plan to show my wife how to shoot. The only problem is that there are not many shooting ranges in Mexico. But I think I'll wait until my kid is around 10 to teach him (my dad taugth me when I was six, go figure). That's a good age to start shooting, I guess.

I don't like hunting, mind you. But shooting a clay disk, target or even bottles, that's really relaxing for me. And no, I am not a member of the NRA.

Oct 20, 2001 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 10
I started on Doves at eleven years of age with a Sears Ted Williams break-open .410 singleshot. When I was competent with that, I was allowed to use the Beretta S/S and O/U. Always the complete fanatic, I've had a lot of great stuff over the years, but do not own anything at this time. If you knew what I had and sold, you would probably cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back