Paging Braver
Jan 4, 2002 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Demetrio

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, Braver, glad to meet another prog fellow around. I’m new in the forum, so I’m trying to know who are the other proggers aboard. I have checked some of your posts out and noticed that you also enjoy Pendragon, Marillion and Arena (some of my favorites too), so I was just wondering if you have already been introduced to another great British group in the same vein of the aforementioned bands: it’s the band IQ. Do you know them? If you don’t, this is IMO a must have for you, especially the albums “Subterranea”, “Ever” and “The Wake”.

Some other great bands/titles that I think you would enjoy as well:

NEUSCHWANSTEIN - Battlement
TIMOTHY PURE – Island of the Misfit Toys
ROCKET SCIENTISTS – Oblivion Days
PALLAS – The Cross & the Crucible
JADIS – Across the Water
ROINE STOLT – The Flower King
THE FLOWER KINGS – Flower Power
ENCHANT – A Blueprint of the World

Best prog wishes.

Jan 4, 2002 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Demetrio
Hi, Braver, glad to meet another prog fellow around. I’m new in the forum, so I’m trying to know who are the other proggers aboard. I have checked some of your posts out and noticed that you also enjoy Pendragon, Marillion and Arena (some of my favorites too), so I was just wondering if you have already been introduced to another great British group in the same vein of the aforementioned bands: it’s the band IQ. Do you know them? If you don’t, this is IMO a must have for you, especially the albums “Subterranea”, “Ever” and “The Wake”.

Some other great bands/titles that I think you would enjoy as well:

NEUSCHWANSTEIN - Battlement
TIMOTHY PURE – Island of the Misfit Toys
ROCKET SCIENTISTS – Oblivion Days
PALLAS – The Cross & the Crucible
JADIS – Across the Water
ROINE STOLT – The Flower King
THE FLOWER KINGS – Flower Power
ENCHANT – A Blueprint of the World

Best prog wishes.

Hi Demetrio

Count me in I'm a fellow Progger as well
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Heard of most of those bands except the first one! got most of them as well.

I think that Prog has to be one of the most misunderstood and unappreciated types of music around!

I also know that braver has subterranea and The Seventh House as well.

Have you heard of the dprp pages on the net? Stands for Dutch Progressive rock pages (its in english so don't worry!) the address is :-

www.dprp.vuurwerk.nl

It's a really good site with frequent updates (at least two or three times a week!)

Cheers

Jan 4, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by davidcotton

Count me in I'm a fellow Progger as well
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Heard of most of those bands except the first one! got most of them as well.
I think that Prog has to be one of the most misunderstood and unappreciated types of music around!
I also know that braver has subterranea and The Seventh House as well.
Have you heard of the dprp pages on the net? Stands for Dutch Progressive rock pages (its in english so don't worry!) the address is :-
www.dprp.vuurwerk.nl
It's a really good site with frequent updates (at least two or three times a week!)

Cheers

Hey, David, very glad to meet you too. It's great to know you are already familiar with most of the bands I listed before, and that our prog fellow Braver is already familiar with IQ.

As for NEUSCHWANSTEIN, this was a German group that recorded only one album 1n 1979, under the title "Battlement". A prog masterpiece, and a must have for any Genesis/Marillion fan IMHO.

You are right, it's really a pity to see some people bashing the Progressive genre here and there, when we know that there are so many obscure gems around in the prog world. I'm listening to one right now, it's the only album by the Spanish group CRACK, the title is "Si todo hiciera crack", also released in 1979. And was listening to some other musical pearls this afternoon, obscure gems released in Italy in the 70's by bands like LOCANDA DELLE FATE, MUSEO ROSENBACH, IL ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA, ALUSA FALLAX, CELESTE, QUELLA VECCHIA LOCANDA, not to mention some more well known Italian prog bands of the same period like BANCO, P.F.M. and LE ORME.

I already knew the great DPRP site, but thanks for the info anyway, it will be useful for others for sure.

Again, very glad to meet yet another prog fellow aboard!!!

Jan 4, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 14
hey Demetrio, nice to meet you
smily_headphones1.gif

like David said, I already know IQ, big fan
biggrin.gif
I'll pick The Wake up as soon as I get the chance.

there are so many I bands I haven't heard of yet tho. I'm kindof collecting all the British 90's prog (Arena, Pendargon and the like) and slowly expanding back in time with a lot of Marillion, I want to get more Camel etc etc. have yet to touch the 70s tho. there should be some great prog from that period as even Marillion is considered neo-prog.

I know The Flower Kings from hearing Stolt with Transatlantic. (which is IMO part of the quantity-over-quality movement of prog, playing long songs just to play long songs, mainly a Spock's Beard influence). I was at one point thinking of picking some Flower Kings stuff up, but played save and got some other stuff I of bands I knew better. I usually just buy whatever David recommends (still haven't got into Mostly Autumn yet tho) and I don't believe we've discussed the Flower Kings yet..

Jan 5, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 14
I do think you'll enjoy IQ "The Wake". Also glad to know you are getting more stuff of one of my all-time favorite prog bands, CAMEL. Of course I enjoy all their albums, but there some particular Camel recordings that I consider their best (in no particular order): Moonmadness, Mirage, The Snow Goose, Dust and Dreams, Harbour of Tears and Rajaz.

When you start getting into the 70's prog stuff then you'll really start getting into the heyday of the progressive genre. How many musical gems you'll listen to from that golden period... lots of British, Italian, Dutch, German masterpieces, not to mention some from many other countries... when you want to get into them, feel free to ask us for recommendations.

As for The Flower Kings, personally I am a huge fan of the band and think you might enjoy their music. "The Flower King" (credited to Roine Stolt, but to me the first Flower Kings release) and "Flower Power" are both excellent. "Space Revolver" is great too, so are "Stardust We Are" and the compilation "Scanning the Greenhouse", among many others. And as for MOSTLY AUTUMN, this is one of my current favorites too, I have all their three CD's and have their recent DVD on the top of my wish list.

Once again, very glad to meet you, and let's keep proggin'

Jan 5, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
cool
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm just soooo itching to go out and buy more CDs
biggrin.gif

I just hope that your wife, or girlfriend, or your father, doesn't hate us for making you spend your money on more prog stuff...:)

Jan 5, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

I just hope that your wife, or girlfriend, or your father, doesn't hate us for making you spend your money on more prog stuff...:)

well, my parents are cool with me spending lots on CDs. it's my money, so I just have to save on other things
smily_headphones1.gif
but just to be on the save side, they see as little as possible
wink.gif
they used to be into music a lot too, but then they got all caught up in careers and stuff...

Jan 5, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 14
oh, and guys, check The Axiom of Choice. has lots of reviews, not everything, but DPRP doesn't have everything either. not as good as DPRP, but nice to have something else sometimes
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 14
Someone should change the name of this thread to "paging all proggers"! :)

Just wanted to stick my hand out and say, "aye"!

BTW, welcome, Demetrio, glad you like this site. Now you need to get a pair of headphones. :)

Jan 5, 2002 at 9:24 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

And as for MOSTLY AUTUMN, this is one of my current favorites too, I have all their three CD's and have their recent DVD on the top of my wish list.

Thats not fair I'm sulking now!
wink.gif

I ordered the DVD from the website direct at the beginning of NOVEMBER and guess what? I STILL havn't got it yet!!!

I think its time for another not so nice e-mail demanding to know what the **** is going on.

To make it even more annoying, the usual distrubitor I use (GFT) has plenty instock
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

Oh well.

Jan 5, 2002 at 12:45 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
Someone should change the name of this thread to "paging all proggers"! :)
Just wanted to stick my hand out and say, "aye"!
BTW, welcome, Demetrio, glad you like this site. Now you need to get a pair of headphones. :)

Thanks a lot for the link to this great forum, big Dusty, and totally agree with you, this thread should be re-nominated.
Okay, guess I'm gonna have to start considering the acquisition of a good pair of headphones now...
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,

Jan 5, 2002 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by davidcotton

I ordered the DVD from the website direct at the beginning of NOVEMBER and guess what? I STILL havn't got it yet!!!
I think its time for another not so nice e-mail demanding to know what the **** is going on.
To make it even more annoying, the usual distrubitor I use (GFT) has plenty instock
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

Oh well.

I'm really tempted to get this Mostly Autumn DVD very soon.
Hey, David, very glad to know you are a regular GFT client too, they have plenty of stuff in stock, don't they?... GFT (in the UK) and Cranium Music (in New Zealand) have been my prog source for a long time already. By the way, for those who don't know these two great prog vendors yet, these are their links:

http://www.gft-cyclops.co.uk/gft/gftinfo.html

http://www.cranium.co.nz/

Best regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back