OT: Books to read?
Nov 15, 2001 at 10:33 PM Post #32 of 44
I can give you plenty of advice about science fiction. Many of my recommendations here will appeal to folks that don't normally read much sci-fi, though I'll make a note if there are exceptions.

Another vote for "Ender's Game" and "Speaker for the Dead" by Orson Scott Card. Unfortunately, you'll get so wrapped up in those two that you'll be forced to read "Xenocide" and "Children of the Mind" too. They aren't as good. BTW, read "Speaker for the Dead" even if you're one of those rare people who doesn't really enjoy "Ender's Game." They're very different, and I actually liked "Speaker" best. These books wouldn't appeal as much to someone who isn't into sci-fi.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 5-book "trilogy" by Douglas Adams. It's hard to believe there are people in the world that haven't read these, but semi-reliable sources insist it's true.
biggrin.gif

"Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" also by Douglas Adams, followed by the sequel "The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul." BTW, I can actually explain what happened at the end of "Dirk" if anyone's interested... you have to have a working knowledge of Coleridge to grasp what happened.

"Birthright: The Book of Man" by Mike Resnick. GREAT novel. Nothing else he wrote since then quite measures up, unless you like the "western set in outer space" type sci-fi, which he's very good at.

How about a few short story collections...

"R is for Rocket" and "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury. Both excellent. "Martian Chronicles" actually works as a novel, with each short story loosely connected to the others in a larger story. Come to think of it, "Birthright: The Book of Man" (recommended above) is set up the same way.

"The Persistence of Vison," "The Barbie Murders," and "Blue Champagne" by John Varley. Varley's someone I wouldn't recommend unless you're a sci-fi kind of person. But he's an absolutely EXCELLENT writer, and his short stories are top-notch. Many (though not all) of them are set in a really interesting (IMO) future history in which humankind has been banished from Earth by mysterious invaders. Humans are now forced to live on the moon, Mercury, Mars, etc...

A couple warnings about Varley's work, though. 1. Not for kids. Sex is not really the point of the stories, but there's enough there, and not all of it is 'normal' (for lack of a better word). 2. It can be somewhat confusing figuring out what's happening at the beginnings of some of his stories. Stick with it and it will all make sense.

Okay, enough for now. You can thank me later.
biggrin.gif

Russ "The Peripatetic Audiophile"

Edit: Oh! I almost forgot. READ "Jurassic Park" by Michael Crichton. Much better than the movie, IMO. Makes me wish James Cameron had directed the movie rather than Spielberg. The novel always struck me as a James Cameron kind of story.

Nov 16, 2001 at 10:05 AM Post #33 of 44
Martin Amis, especially "London Fields," "The Information."

A. S. Byatt, especially "Babble Tower (which is one part of a very worthwhile series that starts with "The Virgin in the Garden"), "Possession," "Elementals" which is a collection of stories.

Iris Murdoch, any of her novels.

V. S. Naipul, "The Enigma of Arrival."

Muriel Spark, "Aiding and Abetting."

Philip Roth, especially "The Counterlife," "American Pastoral."

One could go on...

Nov 16, 2001 at 5:05 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
BTW, speaking of Lull -- Pete Namlook recorded a very Lull-like record with his latest, uh, I think it's New Organic Life, will confirm.

Okay, confirming: it's called Namlook XVII "New Organic Life II", and here is probably the best place to get it. It should be [PK08/159:x], but I'm not finding it in his catalog yet. Either wait 'til he puts it in or email him.

Nov 16, 2001 at 5:17 PM Post #36 of 44
quote:
The Illiad/ Oddyssy- get the Fangles translation, its much easier to read and understand, Lattimore is like reading a forgien language IMO

I read that one as well as Fitzgerald's, but Allen Mandelbaum's verse tranlation is my favorite (Odyssey). It too is easy to read but I much prefer Mandlebaum's phrasing.

quote:
Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, very entertaining, and not as grim as it sounds.

Crime and Punishment is one of the greatest books I've ever read. I thought it was much more than entertaining.

I just read Alexander: Child Of A Dream, by hisotorian Valerio Massimo Manfredi. It's part one, based on the life of Alexander The Great. It reads quickly and easily, highly recommended.

LOTR: My second reading was an eye opener. I gained a much more cohesive understanding of the story as a whole. The third reading brought expanded insights into the underlying natures of each of the main characters.

Nov 16, 2001 at 6:46 PM Post #37 of 44
J.D. Salinger "Nine Stories"
Ray Bradbury "The Vintage Bradbury"
Anton Chekov: Any collection of short stories.
Charles Bukowski "Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame"

The phone book when you need your new brakes on your car.

Nov 16, 2001 at 6:53 PM Post #38 of 44
Must reads for anyone looking for more fantasy after starting Harry ****** Potter and Lord of the rings:-

Terry Brooks Shannara series comprising of:-

The Sword of shannara :- Ok so its basically lotr but sets up for the next set of books to come.

The Elfstones of Shannara :- Regarded to be Terrys best work so far, in fact read this before Sword, I did and had no trouble understanding the trilogy.

The Wishsong of Shannara :- finishes off the first shannara set with a bit of a shocking conclusion!

Then try David Eddings The Belgariad/The Mallorean and also Raymond e fiests Magician.

Though I would stress that Terry Brooks is amazing and deserves to be read, he's had something like 17 bestsellers..........

Nov 16, 2001 at 10:43 PM Post #40 of 44
I'll have to second the Ray Bradbury books. Normally, I hate reading fiction. His work is the only exception.

Two other short story books of his worth owning are: "Long After Midnight" and "The October Country".

Nov 16, 2001 at 10:55 PM Post #41 of 44
If you like the Douglas Adams stuff you might like reading Red Dwarf too.

Haven't ever opened up a Potter book...what are they like...are they reminiscent of Rahld Dahl type childreen books? Or Narnia type stuff?

Nov 17, 2001 at 1:07 AM Post #42 of 44
Have you read any Gerald Durrell? "The Talking Parcel" is the book I have read which is most like the Harry Potter books. (Wow, that was a long time ago. Off to amazon I go.)

Nov 17, 2001 at 8:00 AM Post #43 of 44
aeberbach:

Well, sure, the Amis style is an extreme one, but it propels one along in most cases. I tend to like extremes at least some of the time.

"Relentless" is right, and Amis seems usually not to like his characters and is willing to run them through a wringer. That might be repellent, but it's also rivetting--to me. If you're willing to try another Amis in that vein, read "Money."

Nov 18, 2001 at 5:31 AM Post #44 of 44
Paul Auster - New York Trilogy
Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian
Flann O'Brien - The Third Policeman
Thomas Hardy - The Mayor of Casterbridge
J.M Coetzee - Disgrace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back