Options on upgrading from Fiio M6?
Jul 12, 2020 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Claypole

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve had my Fiio M6 for about 18 months now, and whilst I think it sounds decent enough, and has plenty if useful functions and features, it’s not been a particularly good DAP for me.

Aside from the problems it’s given me, I haven’t taken to its smaller form factor. If I’m out and about, then either my iPad or iPhone play music just fine, and I can’t be bothered with the M6. I do use the M6 at home, so I’m thinking something bigger, and physically easier to use would be more suitable.

I would be looking to spend about £300-400 (ish), or less for something that has similar functionality as the M6 (WiFi, streaming app support (including offline and downloading), Blutooth DAC) but a larger device with a nice screen, and a processor considerably more powerful than in the M6. Superior sound quality would be a bonus, but just a generally better product for mainly home use (but still portable), is what I’m after.

I have read up on some devices from the likes of Astell and Kern, Hiby, iBasso, etc, and whilst my sure there is a product that would suit me perfectly, are there particular models to avoid or some particularly good models to go for?

I do realise there is a lot of information out there, and on this forum alone, but the amount of products available these days is bewildering.

Jul 12, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 9
I’ve had my Fiio M6 for about 18 months now, and whilst I think it sounds decent enough, and has plenty if useful functions and features, it’s not been a particularly good DAP for me.

Aside from the problems it’s given me, I haven’t taken to its smaller form factor. If I’m out and about, then either my iPad or iPhone play music just fine, and I can’t be bothered with the M6. I do use the M6 at home, so I’m thinking something bigger, and physically easier to use would be more suitable.

I would be looking to spend about £300-400 (ish), or less for something that has similar functionality as the M6 (WiFi, streaming app support (including offline and downloading), Blutooth DAC) but a larger device with a nice screen, and a processor considerably more powerful than in the M6. Superior sound quality would be a bonus, but just a generally better product for mainly home use (but still portable), is what I’m after.

I have read up on some devices from the likes of Astell and Kern, Hiby, iBasso, etc, and whilst my sure there is a product that would suit me perfectly, are there particular models to avoid or some particularly good models to go for?

I do realise there is a lot of information out there, and on this forum alone, but the amount of products available these days is bewildering.
£400 would get you in the area of the fiio m11 which would be the next logical step. Otherwise it would be the ones you mentioned really. Along with a volume capped (or not, debate seems to be that it's been lifted now with last firmware update)sony a105. Another £100 would get you to the shanling m6 and so on.

Jul 15, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 9
£400 would get you in the area of the fiio m11 which would be the next logical step. Otherwise it would be the ones you mentioned really. Along with a volume capped (or not, debate seems to be that it's been lifted now with last firmware update)sony a105. Another £100 would get you to the shanling m6 and so on.
I am considering the Fiio M11, it seems to tick all all boxes. but because of the issues I've had with the M6, I am a bit reluctant to spend £400 on another one of their players. Having said that, after reading up on the other DAPs in that price range, I get the impression there's going to be issues with any model I might choose.

I spent ages reading all through the iBasso DX160 thread, and ended up rather disappointed that such an apparently great sounding player was let down by such basic issues.

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 9
I've recently got the m11 pro to use as a transport into my N8 for offline tidal. Initially I got the sr25 but found the screen too small for my liking so fully understand the need for a good screen.

The screen (and size) of the m11 is perfect. Really nice to use, smooth, silky, vibrant. Form factor is great, it's not a big slab, perfect pocket fit, nicely finished / made.

Support is fantastic, fiio rep is always in the thread and improvements seem to be rolled out quite quickly which is a big tick in the box for me.

I've not had any issues with it, would highly recommend the m11 which is within your budget. Sounds pretty good as well!

Shanling m6 would be my other pick although I've not heard it. M11 screen goes all the way to the edges, m6 has a slight border. Preference would end up purely in sound signature.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 9
I am considering the Fiio M11, it seems to tick all all boxes. but because of the issues I've had with the M6, I am a bit reluctant to spend £400 on another one of their players. Having said that, after reading up on the other DAPs in that price range, I get the impression there's going to be issues with any model I might choose.

I spent ages reading all through the iBasso DX160 thread, and ended up rather disappointed that such an apparently great sounding player was let down by such basic issues.
Just buy one from somewhere with a good returns policy and you'll be fine. Think you are not too far from hifiheadphones.co.uk whose demo room should be open on request? Might be worth upping the budget a little and trying out some players there so you can get a feel for them. Got a hiby r6 myself which has been largely flawless aside from high impedence issues and flaky wifi. So as you say the perfect player doesn't exist.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the replies. I have read the thread on the iBasso DX160, and apparently it's the best sounding DAP at that price. I also read the thread on the Hiby R5, and it seems that the R5 is really the best sounding at the price. The Astell and Kern SR15 is also the best sounding DAP at the price, and it seems the Fiio M11 is the best sounding too.

I will assume they all sound decent, and the differences in opinion are just down to differences in preferences of sound signature. However, how much better will the SQ be than my Fiio M6?

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the replies. I have read the thread on the iBasso DX160, and apparently it's the best sounding DAP at that price. I also read the thread on the Hiby R5, and it seems that the R5 is really the best sounding at the price. The Astell and Kern SR15 is also the best sounding DAP at the price, and it seems the Fiio M11 is the best sounding too.

I will assume they all sound decent, and the differences in opinion are just down to differences in preferences of sound signature. However, how much better will the SQ be than my Fiio M6?
Best bet is to just trial them and see. Some people hear differences, some don't. Not just the sound quality though. Look for other issues such as bluetooth performance if that's an issue. Just try one from somewhere with a good return policy and take it from there. If you can't hear a difference then great, you've just saved a fair wodge of cash. A lot of people seem to think the character of the iem or headphone is more important than the dap anyway.

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #8 of 9
I've had r6 Pro and sr25, m11 pro beats them both on SQ imo and sr25 is my least preferred gui out of the lot plus the screen is tiny.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back