Optimizing music for the M-Audio Revolution 7.1...
Jul 4, 2003 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

chia-pet

100+ Head-Fier
As the subject line states, these questions are being asked for an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 user.

Pertaining to foobar: which DSPs are recommended to be activated? What settings should be set for the activated DSPs?

What's the difference between Kernel Streaming and ASIO? What buffer size/length should be set for both? I've experimented with the sample rate in the ASIO output plugin properties in winamp and the resampler in Foobar; I notice I can achieve 192000 Hz in both players if I set my ASIO Buffer Size to 2688 in my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 control panel. What are the repercussions of this? What is the technical explanation of the effect this has on the sound. What difference and what does the 'Quality' option make in Winamp ASIO options? What difference and what does 'Slow Mode' do in Foobar? In the Winamp ASIO output plugin should resampling even be enabled? I've heard mixed things about hardware resampling and software resampling; which occurs when enabling Resampling? Does the methods of the Resampling in the ASIO output plugin share any similarity to the Resampler in Foobar?

Are there any other settings that I should change to get the most optimal sound?

I've been searching and reading forums for about 2 days now, and come up with inadequate/unsatisfying answers. Any input is welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 4, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 2
I'd say you don't need any DSPs with Revo; with resampler you only waste your CPU.
Regarding playback quality, ASIO and kernel streaming both have the same benefit, they bypass the Windows kmixer - use whichever works better in your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back