Oppo BDP-105 for CD/SACD transport & DAC
Oct 10, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #16 of 17
HDMI out from Oppo or other universal players are not I2S. I2S is an audio communication protocol that uses the HDMI interface, so it is not compatible at all.

Since Bifrost does not decode DSD, what's your goal? There are ways to get DSD layer off an SACD to external DAC, but if your DAC doesn't support DSD to begin with what do you want to do with it?

I want to play SACDs. If I have to use the internal DAC then so be it. I didn't know much about the I2S interface except that it uses an HDMI connector. But is SACD even worth it now? Or better to just use a DAC which would upconvert the signal from standard CD or music from my Mac.

Oct 11, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #17 of 17
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But I've been looking at some Oppo players to use for SACD. I only have a couple at the moment but I've been curious of the format for a long time. Is an Oppo player the best option? If so which model should I most consider? Is it best to use the internal DAC or use the HDMI out (I2S) to an external DAC with such an input? Right now I have a Marantz CD6006 for my CDs and I use the coax Digital output into my Bifrost 2 which does not decode DSD.
Looking for the "best" option is not limited to a particular player unless you are using its internal DAC. Once you are considering I2S then you have to also consider the supporting DAC. As mentioned above I use my BDP-105 with an I2S adapter to feed my Stellar SGCD Preamp/DAC but I also use SPDIF to connect to my Gungnir for CD playback. Therefore my Oppo is merely a transport. You can do the same with a Marantz or Sony (preferably ES series). I would suggest starting with simply one of the above players using their built-in DACs for SACD and then you can always upgrade later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back