Open back, over ear, ~$150
Dec 17, 2014 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

arbakken

New Head-Fier
I'm in need of some new headphones for work. I was using an old set of ATH-M30s, but I broke the cord. I almost was going to replace the cord, but I brought in my Sennheiser HD280 and realized how much the M30s kinda suck. I like the HD280s, but they do far too good of a job isolating noise, and I need to be able to hear the intercom and people talking to me. I'll be driving them off the computer soundcard (at least for now) so nothing crazy.

After a lot of research, I have narrowed it down to (although not limited to) the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X and Sennheiser HD-598. Near as I can tell, they both sound really good and are about the same price. There might be a slight nod to the AD900X in SQ and they are cheaper, but I'll be potentially wearing them all day and taking them on and off a lot. The HD598 looks to be more comfortable and easier to take on and off.

Anyone have any thoughts before I drop lots of (relative!) money on headphones? Others to consider?

Thanks!

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 7
Are there any people sitting near you that would be bothered by your music leaking out? Low-isolation is a two-edged sword. If sound can get in, that also means sound can get out.

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 7
Leaking isn't an issue, I borrowed a friend's set of open back cans and it was fine at any sane listening level. If there were a middle ground it wouldn't hurt, but I don't think there is

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 7
Anyone? I guess I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's unlikely that I can tell the difference between the two, I'm more concerned about how comfortable they are, how easy to take on and off, and how durable they are.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm not a fan of the AD900X wing system, so I'd go with the Senns.

Not a lot else in the ~150 range unless you spend a little more for the AKG K612 Pro. But they generally need a headphone amp (not as easy to drive as the AD900X or H598).

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 7
IMHO, they have very different sound signatures. To my ears (I only had brief tries with both) the Sennheisers were much warmer and smoother. The AD900X were much brighter.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #7 of 7
How are the AKG Q701s? There is a pair in the local classifieds for $125. Sounds like they're a little flat on the bass and need an amp as well? Again, I wouldn't mind eventually amping but I would like it to be an upgrade not a necessity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back