Online PC Sound Quality vs Android Cell Phone
Mar 27, 2022 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

6Channel

100+ Head-Fier
I'm new to online cell phone music, as I just bought an LG V40 to "play around" online. My main music source at my PC station is usually ABC Jazz, which through basic Windows audio & very humble speakers sounds fabulous - I've validated this by swapping in much fancier hi-fi speakers (and my cans). I also enjoy other online signal sources that sound great on my PC.

In the past week, I've hooked the V40 up with many of these sources online: the connections I can select through Android-based searching invariably wind up on a site that "differs" in both appearance & audio quality: dynamic range & frequency response is abysmal - SQ I'd only tolerate in my garage or on my patio. A few require I download apps to listen: they're no better.

I have enjoyed my dedicated-music-player V20 & V30 to no end the past several years, but keep them offline so Android updates don't crater my FM radio or important audio player features (V20!). All onboard music is lossless, so quality has been superb. I'm not a candidate for subscription sources like Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Amazon, etc. I CAN report, however, that a test of Spotify DOES sound decent. In short, I've been trying to investigate the marketing or technical reason for my poor Android music quality. I will be happy if anyone can shed light on this perplexing media puzzle - or tell me what I'm doing wrong. Or forever just be satisfied with onboard tunes!

Mar 28, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 3
Try to connect via the browser in the cellphone to that ABC Jazz (TuneIn), to hear if there is a difference, compared to the app:
https://tunein.com/radio/ABC-Jazz-s44935/

In the app you need to check to see if the streaming has different settings for "Quality".
Thanks for the tip! You will find this purely entertaining, but clicking on that site immediately led me to a "download our TuneIn app" for music. Upon opening the apparently successful download, I could no longer proceed without a Google Play update prompt; the update presents me with "Google Pay", and I cannot proceed without my cell no, and have no SIM card. To top it off, the non-functional Google Pay has now entirely displaced my Google Play Store app, which I cannot revive. I've emailed the techs, but I'm not holding out for much. I've spent too many hours trying to set this thing up - I think I'll just fall back on my old V30 and chalk it up to over-technology. Maybe I'll reset the V40 one day when I have hours to burn.

Thanks again for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back