Onboard Sound vs Sony e9000 es vs Asus Xonar DX
Oct 29, 2014 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Chess

New Head-Fier
My headphones are the NAD viso hp50 and the sound quality I get from the iphone5 compared to my desktop computer is superior. I have the Realtek ALC892 onboard sound chipset. I want better sound coming from my desktop. If I do an optical out from onboard to the Sony e9000es (super old pre amp from my dad), would the quality be the same, better or worse than the onboard sound or compared to the the Asus Xonar DX? Thanks! 

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 2
  My headphones are the NAD Viso HP50 and the sound quality I get from the iphone5 compared to my desktop computer is superior. I have the Realtek ALC892 on-board sound chip-set. I want better sound coming from my desktop. If I do an optical out from on-board to the Sony e9000es (super old pre amp from my dad), would the quality be the same, better or worse than the on-board sound or compared to the the Asus Xonar DX? Thanks! 

I would not expect 32-Ohm headphones to do well plugged into an old receiver (impedance issue).
I would say to get the Asus Xonar DX (or D1) sound card (used $60) and a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60).

Or if your just doing this audio setup mostly for music, get the FiiO E10K, $75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back