On amp output impedance vs. headphone impedance
Apr 18, 2011 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ginetto61

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello to everyone !

looking for info on the beautiful Beyerdynamic A1 I found the following:

http://www.beyerdynamicreviews.com/beyer-dynamic-a1-headphone-amplifier/

.....    High impedance at the headphones output ensures the control range of the volume potentiometer to be perfect for low-impedance headphones, too ....

I do not quite understand this statement.
In general I have always thought that to ensure a good control of the headphone's diaphragm the amp out impedance should be quite lower than the headphone impedance. 
More or less like with amps and speakers, the so called damping factor.
I understand that the A1 out impedance should be around 100 ohm.
On the basis of what I have read also here it should not be the best amp for a 32 ohm Grado, for example.
May be better for a 300 ohm Sennheiser or even a 600 ohm headphone.
Does an optimum damping factor (amp out ohm/headphone in ohm) exist ?

Thank you all
Have nice listenings !

ginetto

I apologize I wrote before searching the site

I found this post relevant to my question

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/17238/headphone-impedance-vs-headphone-jack-impedance

best control of the headphone drivers would happen with the amp impedance being lower then the phones (ie-dampening factor).
But there are also people using headphones that are lower impedance then the output of the amp they use and reporting good results from the combination. It seems like impedance matching is not a big issue.
The general opinion around here seems to be that some amp/phone combinations seem to sound better then other combinations.
The sound of the phones seem to dominate the combination, in my exsperience.
It becomes akin to picking speakers, in alot of ways.

very interesting indeed. Still I believe that the first part do make sense.  best control of the headphone drivers would happen with the amp impedance being lower then the phones (ie-dampening factor).
I believe that a high output impedance of the amp can cause a lack of grip on the driver and then expecially when low frequency signal are sent to the driver it cannot settle quickly enough
That could be the cause of some bass warm, but hardly accurate sound.

Regards,
gino

Users who are viewing this thread

Back