OMG What have I done ?
Dec 28, 2001 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Braver

Will upgrade headphoneswhen there's a MX600.
okay, thought I'd nose around Utrecht today, maybe even find some prog, who knows...

know what? found a store that has a seperate Sympho corner
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Tony Levin - Waters of Eden. knew he had a solo album, and being a big fan of his music (he's king of bass IMO) I just had to pick it up. Only heard the first track so far... either it's extremly cold in here or the music has been sending shivers up my spine for the last 6 minutes
biggrin.gif
god, this is beatyful!

Camel - Stationary Traveler. no idea what to expect ffrom this one. Pendragon-ish perhaps?

King Crimson - Discipline. picked up In The Court Of The Crimson King a few day ago, fantastic stuff, so I had to get this one. Tony Levin is in here too
cool.gif

Strangers On A Train - The Key Part I: The Prophecy. the order is taking me to long, I found this one in a store, couldn't let it lay there ofcourse
wink.gif
Clive and Tracy...is this heaven or what?

IQ - The Seventh House. figured I needed a single disc IQ album, Subterranea is a bit long for everyday listening. the guy who got me into this genre had been raving about this one for ages, so here it is. it's got to wait till after Camel and SOaT tho
smily_headphones1.gif

w00000000000000000000000000000000000t!
biggrin.gif

bankaccount, R.I.P my dear friend
wink.gif

Dec 28, 2001 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
okay, thought I'd nose around Utrecht today, maybe even find some prog, who knows...

know what? found a store that has a seperate Sympho corner
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Camel - Stationary Traveler. no idea what to expect ffrom this one. Pendragon-ish perhaps?

Strangers On A Train - The Key Part I: The Prophecy. the order is taking me to long, I found this one in a store, couldn't let it lay there ofcourse
wink.gif
Clive and Tracy...is this heaven or what?

IQ - The Seventh House. figured I needed a single disc IQ album, Subterranea is a bit long for everyday listening. the guy who got me into this genre had been raving about this one for ages, so here it is. it's got to wait till after Camel and SOaT tho
smily_headphones1.gif

w00000000000000000000000000000000000t!
biggrin.gif

bankaccount, R.I.P my dear friend
wink.gif

Hi Braver

Camel - I think that Stationary Traveller is actually closer to 80's style marillion, concept album obviously absolutely stonking cd some great keyboard/guitar runs on there, don't normally go in for ballads my self but the one at the end is superb one of the best guitar solo's ever from Andy Latimer.

Strangers on a Train. This was the one that really kicked (!) Clive's career off. Originally released on the now defunct S.I label this is amazing. Check out the duet of Clive and Tracy on track 10 (I think!) I had the good fortune of hearing this played live on a boot leg cassette (which has unfortunately now bitten the dust!)and it was absolutely stunning, Tracy has to be THE most underrated female singer around, maybe if she started doing s***e pop ballads she might get somewhere!!!

I.Q Well I hope you havn't got a marantz cdp cause the first 3 copy's I had refused totally and utterly to play the last (only long one!) track! Completly different (though obviously keeping with the iq sound)to subterranea I think this was the way to go as there was no way they were going to top that. If you are wondering about the lack of keys in it it was because Martin Orford was off recording his solo cd at the time as well. incidentally on one SI Compilation disc Martin and Clive did a one track instrumental under the name NO (Nolan/Orford!!!!)there were rumours of a cd coming out but unfortunatly nothing happened.

Just out of curiousity what was the name of that shop?!

Dec 28, 2001 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 10
the store was Plato. they're also online, but I never ordered from them.

well, I've heard all of em except IQ now, but just a first spin. I can tell you tho, they absolutely rock! Levin's album is really good, from the first second. Camel sounded great too, very 80-ish, indeed somewhat like Marillion. King Crimson was what I expected, like the instrumental parts of 'Court', but less 60 and more 80 (duh..
smily_headphones1.gif
).

but Strangers....wow, that voice! such grace and power! my god that's one beautyful disc
eek.gif

so, this are just first impressions ofcourse, but I don't remember being so impressed
biggrin.gif

well, I'm off to listen more music!

Dec 29, 2001 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 10
well, guess what was in the mail this morning? SOaT Part1 and 2
rolleyes.gif
ah well, now I have a spare disc
tongue.gif

AND I BROKE THE 50 ALBUMS BARRIER !!
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2001 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by nick danger
Can't wait to hear Waters of Eden !

Levin is great-Chapman Stick-man isn't he?

yeah he is
cool.gif
I don't believe he plays the stick on this disc tho. but he does play cello!

"The Music: This CD features the bass - fretless and upright, playing melody. Best description of the music I've heard was from a radio d.j. (named Bear!) who reviewed the cd, calling it earthy melodic instrumental music, with roots in Classical and World."

it's has a bit of an African feeling to it IMO cery cool. and there's ofcourse the Crimson influence with weird synths and soundeffects
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2001 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 10
thought I'd post a little update
smily_headphones1.gif

I just keep coming back to Tony Levin the last few days (well, only two days, but been listening from the second I wake up and don't stop till I sleep
smily_headphones1.gif
). like Levin, something else, Levin, Levin, something else, Levin
biggrin.gif
it's is just so smooth, with a very cool "native" vibe to it! percussion and bass way up in the mix ofcourse
biggrin.gif
very enjoyable album!

SOaT Part One really clicked when I listened to it today (at the fourth spin already, all very accesible discs those new ones) and it is magic I tell you! this is one hell of a masterpiece! Karl Groom doens't really shine through most of the time, but how can you when Nolan is doing the best key-solo's I ever heard and Tracy is shining like a diamond! wow, this really is a classic. and Part Two feels like it's even better
eek.gif
only gone to the end once tho (that last track is killer!). is that really Clive singing on track 10 of Part One? He sounds very different than I imagined (he doesn't seem to have lost any weight tho since the start of this project
wink.gif
). very very very cool!

King Crimson, Camel and IQ are damn good albums too. specially surprised by Camel! getting more of their stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
but I haven't given their albums enough time yet tho, too impressed with the goodness of the other three
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2001 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 10
Camel rocks. They go from rock to pop to prog in a synch. I think your best bet would have been to start either with "Rain Dances" or with "The Single Factor", which are their most accesible albums.

They sound way too much like the Alan Parsons Project, in a good way.

Jan 3, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 10
yup, Camel absolutely rocks!
smily_headphones1.gif

hey David, is your copy of SOaT Part2 as terribly recorded as mine? I'm fine with Part1, I'm pretty much okay with the instrumental passages on Part2, but the vocals are way too low in the mix and rather thin sounding and just short of being as sibilant as on Jabberwocky
frown.gif
except for the "ooooooh-hooooo-ooooooh" part that is
biggrin.gif
god Tracy oooohhs beautyfull
biggrin.gif

ah well, can really say only one thing about all the new discs that describes em to the point:

[size=medium]w00t![/size]
cool.gif

Jan 3, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
yup, Camel absolutely rocks!
smily_headphones1.gif

hey David, is your copy of SOaT Part2 as terribly recorded as mine? I'm fine with Part1, I'm pretty much okay with the instrumental passages on Part2, but the vocals are way too low in the mix and rather thin sounding and just short of being as sibilant as on Jabberwocky
frown.gif
except for the "ooooooh-hooooo-ooooooh" part that is
biggrin.gif
god Tracy oooohhs beautyfull
biggrin.gif

ah well, can really say only one thing about all the new discs that describes em to the point:

[size=medium]w00t![/size]
cool.gif

To be honest it's been AGES since I've listened to part two, certainly not much on the setup I've got now. Bear in mind this was recorded a few years ago before the studio they are in now.

I'll dig it out from wherever it is and give it a go and let you know at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back