Old Headroom Amp
Nov 4, 2008 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kinsale

100+ Head-Fier
A plea for help!
smily_headphones1.gif

When I first started working, maybe 10 years ago (not good with time) I had a Headroom Amp that I loved. It got stolen after 2 or 3 years of use. I can't remember the name of it but it was the small one in a cylindrical housing.
I loved that amp. I loved the crossfeed especially. It just seemed so warm.

does anyone have one of these amps that they would like to sell me?

Tyll, I'm unsure of trying the Airhead as I'm not sure it can live up to my old amp. Am I wrong? I remember it didn't have the updated power supply. It was in a seperate housing I think.

Anyway if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.
thanks
Ian

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 14
That was called the HeadRoom Little.

little.jpg

It would handily best an AirHead.

I'll check around and see if we have any floating around that we might sell you, but you're prolly far better of with a current Micro.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 14
Thats the baby!

I would love to get a micro Tyll but I don't think I can stretch that far. I'm also looking for some headphones to go with the amp. I used to have SR60 running with my Little and liked it a lot. not the most comfortable of phones though. I was looking on your website to see what you all recommend now.
I have a new cube at work and am trying to build a nice desk system for myself
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for having a look for the amp for me!
I really appreciate it.
thanks
Ian

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 14
Hello Kinsale,

We looked around for a useable HR Little and regrettably could not turn one up in sale condition... Sorry about that! (... most Littles were usually cannibalized in one way or another!

However, we'll gladly offer a brand-new HeadRoom Micro Amp at a nice "old-customer" discount! If interested, please feel free to shoot me an email (jorge@headphone.com).

Also, keep in mind the Little sold for $249 back in the day; the improved Little More Power was $449 -- meaning the Micro Amp ($399usd) not only delivers MUCH MUCH improved SQ versus the Littles but also remains quite cost-effective as well!
regular_smile .gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 14
Wow, that's a neat-looking little amp.
smily_headphones1.gif
Is there a website somewhere that I could find pics/spec/reviews of some of your guys' older amps?

And Kinsale, I would most definitely recommend the Micro with Grados (especially since Jorge's willing to give you a discount.
biggrin.gif
). Mine sounds fantastic with my 325is, though if you found the SR60s uncomfortable you'll probably find the metal 325is unbearable. Have you considered the Denon D2000s or 1001s?

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Denons rock with headroom products, absolutely GIGANTIC sound! I also think they match well with Grados, the headroom amps "cool" down the Grados slight brightness.
Good Luck.
Kevin

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 14
Hope no one minds me jumping in on an old thread, but I was just about to start a new one about my "Little More Power" circa 1999 when I found this one. It has been a terrific amp and it's still performing admirably. Maybe ignorance is bliss, though, because after seeing how much things have changed since I last really dove into head-fi, I'm wondering if I might want to upgrade!

JorgeC, I'm pretty clear that the current Micro bests the Little. But to clarify, do I take it from your post that it bests the Little More Power, too? Can you elaborate on how? In the past I've traditionally used mine with either an HD 580, ER-4P (with S converter cable), or Grado SR-125. Lately I favor the ER-4P/S.

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by blaked /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope no one minds me jumping in on an old thread, but I was just about to start a new one about my "Little More Power" circa 1999 when I found this one. It has been a terrific amp and it's still performing admirably. Maybe ignorance is bliss, though, because after seeing how much things have changed since I last really dove into head-fi, I'm wondering if I might want to upgrade!

JorgeC, I'm pretty clear that the current Micro bests the Little. But to clarify, do I take it from your post that it bests the Little More Power, too? Can you elaborate on how? In the past I've traditionally used mine with either an HD 580, ER-4P (with S converter cable), or Grado SR-125. Lately I favor the ER-4P/S.

What you'd really want to do if you got a Micro is swap the power supplies around. That would turn the Little More Power back into a standard Little, and give the Micro a better PSU. Of course, you'd need some soldering skill etc...

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you'd really want to do if you got a Micro is swap the power supplies around.

That's above my pay grade.
smile.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 14
Meh, soldering cables is cake. If you're interested go ask in the DIY area, I'm sure someone will help you out.

Otherwise ask around in there and see if someone will do it for you.

It's a good recommendation ... the Sloth isn't as slow as he seems.
deal.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #12 of 14
I'm intrigued. This begs the question: If I were to buy a Micro, can I do all that without voiding any warranties or anything? And does everyone think this would be a worthwhile enough upgrade to replace my reliable old Little? (I love that thing!) I'm wondering about a DAC, too, but I don't know what my wife will let me get away with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by blaked /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm intrigued. This begs the question: If I were to buy a Micro, can I do all that without voiding any warranties or anything? And does everyone think this would be a worthwhile enough upgrade to replace my reliable old Little? (I love that thing!) I'm wondering about a DAC, too, but I don't know what my wife will let me get away with.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think a current Micro by itself would be a substantial upgrade. It now offers class A output stage and uses much higher quality parts through out the audio path. It should sound much better than the Little More Power.

The easiest way to do what has been suggested would be to buy the 5 pin power connector instead of taking it off of the power supply that comes with the Micro. You could then have two power supply options, one for work and one for home maybe. If you went about it in this manner, we would have no way of knowing if you voided your warranty or not. :wink: To eliminate any concerns though, you can e-mail mikeo@headphone.com and see how much it would cost to have your little more power configured with a 5 pin power connector. Tell him I sent you and we can discuss any of the details.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks! I definitely think a Micro is in my future. I'll give the power supply option some thought since I want to keep the Little, too. But I guess I could use a wall wart and keep it for my office or something. I appreciate the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back