Okay, I am starting to get a case of EMU 1212 envy?
Aug 30, 2004 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dshea_32665

100+ Head-Fier
Having a mac, and a laptop to boot, I must say that I am suffering from a case of EMU 1212M envy! Are there any external soundcards that are in the same ball park as the 1212M? Right now I am using a transit, which I bought with the idea of hooking up to a DAC. I have a Piccolo DAC coming, but I know my sound card will affect the system. I must say I am really enjoying the sound from the Transit and my JMT portable amp. Of course, I have never heard the EMU cards or fancy DACs people are talking about here, so I have nothing to compare it to. Ignorance I guess is bliss to a certain extent.

I have seen the Waveterminal24 USB external USB card which I have read is a pretty decent card, would this be a worthwhile upgrade, equivalent to the 1212M? and would this upgrade have a significant effect on a portable DAC like the Piccolo compared to a Transit.

Of course I could enjoy what I have now and save up for a low jitter DAC like a Benchmark. But that will take some time to save and posturing with the wife (small units are easy to say "that hardly cost anything"). I like the idea also of keeping portable as much as possible. However, if waiting and getting a DAC like the Benchmark would be the wisest move, I can give up portable. Of course down the road, I will probably have both a portable and not-so portable setup.

Any thoughts?

dshea

Aug 30, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
Of course I could enjoy what I have now and save up for a low jitter DAC like a Benchmark. But that will take some time to save and posturing with the wife (small units are easy to say "that hardly cost anything"). I like the idea also of keeping portable as much as possible. However, if waiting and getting a DAC like the Benchmark would be the wisest move, I can give up portable. Of course down the road, I will probably have both a portable and not-so portable setup.

Well, if you keep the transit and get the Benchmark (which I recommend), you'll have the best of both worlds since you can still use the transit portably. I recently got to spend some time with the DAC1 and let me just say I was very impressed.

Aug 31, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 12
I agree with saving for the benchmark. It really isn't that big, btw. It is roughly 10" square and 2" deep. I think I could have convinced the girlfriend that it was $300 if I needed to, but I told her the actual price because she bought an ibook and ipod around the same time so she couldn't complain. The benchmark is a good value imo because, you don't need to spend a lot of a transport and digital cable, you can use it as a preamp, it has a very good built in headphone amp, and it has balanced outs.

Aug 31, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 12
I LOVE my 1212M, but you (judging from your forst post) will suffer from Benchmark Envy if you went the 1212M route. Skip all the upgrades and go for what you want. If you have to save for a longer time so be it, at least you will get what you want initially and save money from the upgrades. Just close your eyes (and wallet) if, God forbid, anything better comes along than the Benchmark. Then again, the law of diminishing returns will factor into that as well.

Aug 31, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
I agree with saving for the benchmark. It really isn't that big, btw. It is roughly 10" square and 2" deep. I think I could have convinced the girlfriend that it was $300 if I needed to, but I told her the actual price because she bought an ibook and ipod around the same time so she couldn't complain. The benchmark is a good value imo because, you don't need to spend a lot of a transport and digital cable, you can use it as a preamp, it has a very good built in headphone amp, and it has balanced outs.

What he said!
biggrin.gif
Another happy member of the DAC1 owner's club
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
skip the emu or any external sound card and save for the benchmark, i have tried the emu before and the benchmark basically crushed it.

Yeah, pretty much, I mean don't get me wrong, I love the E-MU. The E-MU dollar for dollar kills the Benchmark, but that's not what we're looking at are we...
very_evil_smiley.gif
The E-MU still stands as an outstanding source regardless of price but it just can't stack up to the Benchmark...

Aug 31, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks everybody. The wheels in the brain are already turning. The thought of "a Benchmark would make a great stocking stuffer" has been lodged in my mind (so you know it's going to happen). If I were to get a Benchmark, would that mean upgrading the amp wouldn't be necessary? I had thought my next upgrade would be an SR 71 which is approaching half the cost of the Benchmark. So getting the Benchmark would essentially be it as far as my source/amp setup? Are those of you who are Benchmark owners, are you using fancy amps as well? I know I could search this but I am already writing this message.

I have already gotten the rationales (true and untrue) down: "it was only about $300 bucks off eBay", "Since we are musicians we need to spend money on tax deductible items at the end of the year (this is my favorite and is used every year)", "let's go for a drive in that new car that we got you last summer that we really didn't need but you really wanted". Gentleman I think I am set. Thank you for your support, you are truly an inspiration, I bow before thee.

dshea

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 12
Since you're on Mac and laptop, you don't have as many options soundcard wise. Those available probably aren't as good as 1212m. So I agree with going external DAC but I always recommend trying it out first. Probably simplicity wise the Benchmark is better for you and it could work well with the SR71.

Sep 1, 2004 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 12
I haven't heard the SR-71 but, for example, the benchmark amp is comparable toa good ppa and beats the less expensive DIY amps. It is likely that the SR-71 would be an improvement but I think if you get the Benchmark you aren't going to feel the need to upgrade the amp right away, at least most of us haven't. Personally I am going to save up for an amp that is a definite improvement over the benchmark one, I am thinking maxed out mpx3, supra, or gilmore balanced reference. I hope to be able to audition some of these in the next few months as a save up my pennies.

Sep 1, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
the benchmark amp is comparable toa good ppa

Is this from personal experience or is this just what you've heard from others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back