Ok what
Jun 1, 2009 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

yourstruly

100+ Head-Fier
So today the weirdest thing happened.

I noticed, for the like the first time, that my bass amp has a 1/4 headphone jack and a 1/4 input jack. So I was curious to see if you could plug my AD700's and Fuze in.

First thing is, the soundstage disappeared. I suspect this is because the amp only has mono output. My headphones didn't differentiate between L/R anymore. Another big drawback was that there was alot more hiss. Too bad, I guess you can't have everything.

But...the detail on the AD700's now just blew my mind. It's unbelievably good. It's just too hard to describe. Can some musician try this and tell me I'm not crazy?

Edit: Ok, now that I think about it, it sort of makes sense that my bass amp would sound better because its the most expensive piece of audio equipment I own. Still a little in shock that a bass amp would sound good on headphones.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the bass is still a live instrument: No equipment is between you and the signal. No compression, no file size, no bitrate, no nothin'.

Nonono, not talking about playing my bass through the amp. I hooked up my Sansa Fuze into the input slot, and my headphones on the headphone slot. I basically used my Eden WT405 as a normal headphone amp.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 11
no, nobody has started a new nothin'.

The mono sound you are getting from the amp produces a more "in your face" sound.

Think of it as an RS-1...poor soundstage, but incredible detail, due to the inyourfaceness.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #8 of 11
No it's different from just mono on my usual setup.

I just tried it on my home $65 Kustom bass amp today and it sucks. I guess for a $1400 bass amp its gotta have a good headphone input as well. Oh well.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, nobody has started a new nothin'.

The mono sound you are getting from the amp produces a more "in your face" sound.

Think of it as an RS-1...poor soundstage, but incredible detail, due to the inyourfaceness.

lol, well-said.

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 11
Guitar and bass amps work in pretty much the same way as headphone amps do, with the exception that they normally use chips that wouldn't be considered for headphones because they lack certain frequency ranges. In other words, they usually sound awful in comparison.

The Eden WT405 is an amphead my friend is renting for fun. It was a real buzzkill because none of our speakers were good enough to make good use of it, so I just decided to try it with some headphones instead. It's a $1400 amphead, and if I'd say how it sounded against other amps price-wise, I'd say it sounds about as good as <$500 stuff. Minus the mono part, of course.

I'm not trying to start a trend or anything. You'd be an idiot to buy a $1400 bass amp for headphones. I was just surprised at how good it sounded, considering what it was made for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back