Oh, that Buggtussel Vinyl-Zyme...
Oct 6, 2003 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RickG

Electrostatic Elvis
Man...this is the best record cleaner I've ever used. I've got several semi-new records that would always pop and tick. This stuff just cleared that up, quick.

I just cleaned up a heavy vinyl, limited edition version of "Abbey Road" that popped like crazy...all is quite now.

I'll be buying more of this magic potion soon!

This is NOT an ad for Todd, just a testimonial...

biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 11
It works even better with a vacuum machine using a clean tube and brush.

I found that a new tube and brush used specifically for the the Vinyl-Zyme does the best cleaning. I still don't know why but the Vinyl-Zyme does not like to be mixed with other stuff.

Oct 6, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
I found that a new tube and brush used specifically for the the Vinyl-Zyme does the best cleaning. I still don't know why but the Vinyl-Zyme does not like to be mixed with other stuff.

Probably because enzymes (biological action) don't mix well with stuff like the Disc Doctor fluid (hospital grade disinfectants)!
biggrin.gif

Kinda been itching to try Vinyl-Zyme on my LP's too, but will have to wait awhile (just bought a pair of HD-600 pads at $30 and too many other small but additive expenses this month).

Oct 6, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
It works even better with a vacuum machine using a clean tube and brush.

I've got the vacuum machine, and I'll definitely take your advice Tube...

So far, I've just cleaned up records that I didn't run through the machine by spotting them with the spray on. I just ordered some concentrate to use with the machine...

I can't wait to see how that works...

cool.gif

Oct 7, 2003 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 11
I use Vinyl-Zyme also, it works great.
My Method: Clean the record with the Vinyl-Zyme and vaccume for about 4 turns, then I clean again with Record Research Labs Record cleaner, and vaccume again for about 4 turns.

The RRL cleaner gets up the grease & fingerprints the Vinyl-Zyme does not.

Got to meet Dr. Kevin Blair, His place is only about an hour away from me. Hell of a nice guy. Got a tour of his shop, discovered the meaning of the name Buggtussel, and the story behind the odd names of his speakers.

Oct 7, 2003 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 11
Just ordered some of the heavy duty stuff. Any recommendations on a good brush system (as I currently cannot justify investing in a vacuum system), or is the Allsop the best that I can do?

Oct 7, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 11
The Allsop is great and is my main cleaning system away from the vacuum rig. This stuff also works great to spray on and follow with a Stanton, Discwasher, or Hunt brush.

I'm a believer...

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 11
The Allsop is great but I would get a new brush specifically for use with the Vinyl-Zyme.

Speaking of the Allsop most people don't use it correctly but it does an excellent job and only a vacuum cleaner with clean,new brushes works better.

Oct 8, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 11
Tubes, any suggestions regarding the Allsop. I am simply following the directions. It seems to do a good enough job, but perhaps I am doing something wrong. Also, recommendations for a specific brush for the Vinyl-Zyme?

Oct 8, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 11
JMT,
You and I talked about that and I'm sure you're doing it right.
if not,
You need to make a cork bed for the record mats and periodically clean the mats with the same cleaning solution you use to clean the records. Put the pads,mat and cork away when not in use so they don't collect dust,or your wife does'nt use them to apply furniture polish(true story). You also need to use one pad for cleaning and another for drying. The pads can be cleaned despite what you may have read on some other sites. I like to use Shout spot cleaner and a very good rinse and dry to clean the pads and they will last a while. I only recommend the new pad for the Vinyl-Zyme because it does not seem to mix well with other cleaners. It's always fun to come up with new cleaning solutions but I still rely heavily on a 1 to 4 mix of distilled water and purified,distilled Isopropyl Alcohol with a few drops of Dawn Dish liquid. That Q-Contact cleaner stuff is a huge waste of money at $20.00 a can,it's the same as Delphi contact cleaner found at real Auto Parts stores for $6.00.(I know because I have all the content beakdown data sheets as part of our Haz-Mat program). Steam cleaning is a sure-fire way of cleaning the lables right off your records and burning your fingers but does work well when done right. I still say the Allsop is the best cleaner for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back