Oh my, I LOVE the Equinox!
May 10, 2003 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
Just from my initial listening, the first thing that jumped to my attention was the sweeter, more lively midrange. Yummy! The slight treble harshness that existed with the stock cable seems to be gone, also. I like it! A lot! Will post more after some more listening after dinner.

May 11, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 13
Glad you bought the best HD-600 replacement cable
smily_headphones1.gif

Really, i spent a few minutes with the equinox at the chicago meet, and i loved the thing. IMO, miles ahead of the cardas

May 11, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 13
Some more impressions: Definitely more immediacy and impact in the bass. Attack and decay is more clearly defined. Switching back to the stock cables made me realize how much midrange detail I was missing! The Equinox really opened up the midrange, bringing it more into the forefront.

Listening to some good violinists, I was shocked to hear how many more overtones I can hear now. I can really hear the colour of every instrument with more precision.

I'll note that although I haven't heard the Cardas, I did try the Clou, but sent them back a couple weeks later. They were too bright in my setup. I didn't like the fact that the Clous seemed to try to turn the HD600 into a headphone that it never was meant to be. The Equinox on the other hand maintains the general balance of the stock HD600, and takes its strengths and elevates them to a new level.

May 14, 2003 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 13
why did you prefer the equinox over the cardas, Ebonyks?

was the equinox more full sounding?
Sweeter highs?
Bigger soundstage?
Better(stronger, tigher, more presence?) bass responce?

details please!

(im getting a 580 to hold me over until I get the 650s, and I am picking up a cable now!)

thanks,
k.s.

May 14, 2003 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 13
Just so the Cardas isn't totally crapped upon here
biggrin.gif
, it is miles ahead of the stock cable, and I haven't regretted the purchase at all. I doubt you'd be disappointed. The Equinox might ultimately be a better cable (I haven't heard it), but it also costs close to $200 after shipping, so it depends on how much you're willing to spend, I guess. The main reason I didn't go for the Equinox was the price. I just couldn't justify spending over twice what I paid for the 580 on a cable for it.

May 14, 2003 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 13
Slightly off topic...but I have been grooving on my Equinox AKG K1000 cable for going on 4 days now...everything I heard was true. It really does make a measurable difference over the stock AGK cable.

Soundstage is louder and larger yet more cohesive sounding. More air around instrument placement....sweet non-shrill highs and deeper, tighter lows. The midrange is solid and confident.

John

May 14, 2003 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 13
The soundstage and the continuation of the laid back nature is what i love about the equinox HD-600 cable. I felt that the clou and cardas tried to change those headphones into a different beast, which, in my humble opinion, is ultimately a failure. If you want revealing headphones, get etys, peroid
wink.gif

May 14, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 13
thanks, that makes sense since Ive heard the equinox and clou comparitively,(but not cardas). So that gives me a good idea abut the different animal thing.

I didnt like the clou at all...

k.s.

May 14, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 13
Having had both cables at the same time I prefered the cardas
cable over the equinox. The cardas cable seemed to have a more upfront presentation putting you closer to the stage. I also felt
the bass was better on the cardas. The equinox puts you further back in the presentation and is a little too laid back .With my equipment the Cardas was the clear winner for me.At the last NY meet most liked the equinox under a quick audition. At the last
Mini -meet I had at my home we did a short comparion test between the two everyone liked the cardas cable .
They are both good cables ,it is a mater of what you prefer.

May 14, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
The soundstage and the continuation of the laid back nature is what i love about the equinox HD-600 cable. I felt that the clou and cardas tried to change those headphones into a different beast, which, in my humble opinion, is ultimately a failure. If you want revealing headphones, get etys, peroid
wink.gif

Just a brief comment - I've heard several people mention that the Cardas cable changes the Senns into a different pair of headphones, but I don't really agree with that. It still undeniably sounds like an HD600 (or 580 as the case may be), but with a noticeably more refined and coherent presentation.

May 14, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamP88
Just a brief comment - I've heard several people mention that the Cardas cable changes the Senns into a different pair of headphones, but I don't really agree with that. It still undeniably sounds like an HD600 (or 580 as the case may be), but with a noticeably more refined and coherent presentation.

"More coherent" is exactly the way I hear the Equinox. I like the fact that the Equinox kept, as Ebonyks said, the laid-back nature of the Senns. If anybody wants me to lend them their Cardas so I can compare, please feel free to do so.
wink.gif

From the way the two cables have been talked about here, I'm sure the Cardas is just as much better than the stock cable as the Equinox. It's all boils down to personal preference, I guess.

May 14, 2003 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 13
And yes, even with the cable upgrades, to say they sounded like a completely different headphone is an exaggeration. Just like most things that people rave about on head-fi. Cables, burn-in, vibration damping pads, and to a certain degree, even headphone amps... All overrated. Reading about systems "totally coming alive" because of little tweaks always makes me laugh.

And yet, it seems to be the very minute details that separates a system that merely sounds good, from one that is truly exciting to listen to.

May 15, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 13
I just traded my Cardas for an Equinox and got the Equinox in the mail today. First off, I agree with what has been said, neither of these cables transforms the HD600's into a completely different headphone, that's a little bit lofty. Either cable definitely improves upon the stock cable, that is for sure, but even there were not talking out of this world differences really. The HD600's were hailed as excellent cans before there were any replacement cables, let's not forget that.

I tend to agree with Ebonyks comments about the Equinox sounding more like a continuation of the HD600 sound. Comparitively speaking I find the Cardas cables to be different from the Equinox in a few ways. The Cardas cable sounds a tad bit lighter in the mid and upper bass region where things like bass instruments and male vocals can sound a hair light. The Cardas is a bit more revealing through the upper midrange and into the treble, brass instruments come through with more edge and cymbals sound brighter. In contrast the Equinox to my ears sounds a bit fuller overall much due in part to the thicker mid bass. As far as depth of bass and tightness I'm not hearing much difference between the two yet. The Equinox, while still open and detailed, is not as revealing and is more forgiving in the upper mids through the treble. As stated by many, I would tend to agree that the treble does sound sweeter and a bit more refined.

Soundstage wise and spatially I'd have to say it's darn close. I'm going to have to listen to some more music before calling that one. I am getting the feeling however that the Equinox might sound a little more dimensional at this point, a lot due in part to the fuller bottom end and the more reigned in upper midrange. That fullness can add more body to images and the less revealing upper mids/treble can reduces glare and hardness which can lead to a more flat sound.

It would go without saying that I find the Equinox more like the stock cable than the Cardas is (again that feeling the Equinox is a continuation of the HD600 sound). To me the Equinox sounds like a much improved stock cable where the Cardas might sound like that too but goes further and departs a bit more. As with anything it's really going to come down to which cable works best in your system and individual tastes. In my case I can tell already the Equinox works best. I don't have a stellar source and the Gilmore V2 is a very revealing and detailed amp.

That's my 2 cents for now, I'm really enjoying the Equinox thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back