Oh dear, I've been shopping again
Jun 30, 2001 at 8:17 PM Post #16 of 25
The other words that springs to mind with headfier is "Broke" or "skint"
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2001 at 8:25 PM Post #17 of 25
lol... Ok, Ok, I'm broke (well... nearly)... but... at least i'm happy
smily_headphones1.gif

A quick update on the X-Cans... I'm playing some really bass heavy music at the moment with the HD-580s, and well, they are lapping it up... not to "Duh-m-bass" levels, I mean QUALITY bass... but... these are definetly a VAST improvement over the not so good handling of the Sonys...

One thing I've noticed is that the X-Cans is now running a lot hotter than it did with the CD1700s, and that is confusing me... If the HD-580s are harder to drive... then why isn't the X-Cans distorting anymore?!

Jun 30, 2001 at 8:32 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
One thing I've noticed is that the X-Cans is now running a lot hotter than it did with the CD1700s, and that is confusing me... If the HD-580s are harder to drive... then why isn't the X-Cans distorting anymore?!

Duncan,

Because the CD1700's present less resistance, they're likely drawing more current than your HD-580's. I'm sure another Head-Fi'er can hit you with more details on this one.

Jun 30, 2001 at 11:29 PM Post #19 of 25
That's right, Duncan - CD1700 works best with a high-end solid-state headphone amp (but not a crappy headphone op-amp), whilst the HD580 sounds better with a tube amp such as your X-Cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2001 at 7:46 AM Post #21 of 25
lol... Oh dear, that leaves me with a dilema...

Do I sell the CD1700s, or send the X-Cans back... although its nice having all of these goodies... my bank account is suffering as a direct result (and... so will my ears be suffering if my dad finds out how much i've been spending!! lol)

Jul 1, 2001 at 11:06 AM Post #22 of 25
Hey Duncan, the 580s and the X-Can are a great match . Who cares if the X-Can isn't the greatest design, it works great with with the 580s. It's all about synergy.
cool.gif
You could buy a more expensive amp and headphone, but if they don't work well together, what's the point? I've bought components that I thought were great(and expensive) that sounded good at the store, but that sounded bad with my particular system.

I saw this ad in a Acoustic Sounds catalouge(they make some of the best recordings and sell other CD/LPs, etc.):

"The most tireless listening combo available in headphones. This dynamic pair(X-Canv2 & 600/580) is equivalent to or better than most costly, top of line speakers."

-David Baker, engineer, APO records

Okay, maybe that was too hyperbolic and just advertising propaganda, but we're not taking about Bose, we're talking about a tiny record label and audiophile store, for what it's worth.

If you keep the Can', change the tubes at some point though. And if you have to get rid of something, I'd get rid of the Sony phones first.

Jul 1, 2001 at 12:45 PM Post #23 of 25
I love my xcanv2+hd600. Great Combo just like what everyone says !
smily_headphones1.gif

Tides

Jul 1, 2001 at 1:17 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by oldnametooshort
...the sonys always sound dull and overly warm with tube amps, this is proven by number of people.

Well, DUH! Every pair of low-impedance, high-efficiency cans will sound overly warm (and sometimes dull and murky) with tube amps!
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2001 at 3:53 PM Post #25 of 25
Sorry Eagle... I didn't know that... Or else I wouldn't have started this thread...

Anyway... that aside... One CD for us with this combination, is Pink Floyds The Wall... sounds sublime... you can pick so much out of the recording, but without it becoming analytical...

So... (back to original point) WHY do the CD1700s sound so bad with the X-Cans??!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back