Off to College Audio Decision!
Aug 16, 2004 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nojmplease

New Head-Fier
The time has come to fly off to college in D.C., I'm excited but the audio setup in my future dorm room is giving me a headache. The tricky part is that I am a vinyl enthusiast, and I'm already determined to bring my Denon DP-23F to college.

at home, I have an early 90's Nakamichi Reciever 3 that does the trick for the phono input and it does a nice job of sound reproduction. My stereo speakers are Infinity "compositions" overtures, which are about 6"x12"x12" in size and weigh a heavy 28 lbs EACH (due to the built in subs). These babies are beautiful and I really cannot part with them, but as I'm sure you've guessed, a dorm room might be smaller than my space requirements.

I have contemplated maybe getting a small phono preamp and running into my comp and buying some comp. speakers, but I've come here for suggestions. I am definetly bringing the turntable, but I can't be sure that the other electronics are going to fit.

Any ideas regarding space issues, or maybe some suggestions on a phono setup for the computer? Thanks to all in advance.

Aug 16, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi, welcome to Head-fi.

I know you want to get more responses, or are not sure where your thread belongs, but try not to post identical threads in multiple forums.
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82485

Don't forget the handy search function above, it really does work!
wink.gif

-Ed

Aug 16, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 11
sorry about the doublepost, I'm new to the forums, and I wasn't sure which forum would be the right place to ask my question. Anyway, I already have a pair of closed headphones, the Sennheiser HD280's, and I'm looking for a possible speaker/phono input replacement.

Aug 16, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 11
Check the cables/speakers/etc forums, there's a couple "dorm speaker" threads. I'm looking into this too, since I'm moving into an apartment soon and I think I want a speaker setup.

There's also several phono amp threads in the amplifier forum.

- Chris

Aug 16, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 11
I don't think any soundcards have phono inputs (i.e. a built-in phonostage/phono preamp). Besides, you should never run an analog source (vinyl/tape) through a soundcard because the soundcard will digitize it, apply digital volume control (which can strip bits off the digital signal, and Windows is especially bad about that), and then convert it back to analog resulting in a signal that has analog's strengths and weaknesses combined with digital's weaknesses (NOT a good combo).

Aug 16, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 11
The E-MU 1820m has phono inputs but I'm not sure how it'll sound coming back out. The E-MU cards are really nice cards but I don't know anyone who's tried running vinyl though it. If it does work you could probably record at 24/192 and then wouldn't need to take the phono player with you since you could store the data on the hard drive. Again, I have no idea how this would sound and have yet to try recording 24/192 with the 1212m.

I think most of us that are forced to live in close quarters have gone to headphones over speakers. That way you can listen at the volume you are comfortable with without disturbing others. You might have a look at near field studio monitors for when you do use speakers. They'll pair well with the 1820m or any of the other E-MU cards since you can run balanced connections from the card to the speakers.

Anyway, good luck and welcome to Head-Fi.

Aug 17, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 11
heheh i got a audio quesiton!

but i'll put it another thread.

anyhow. i got e2cs for my portable setup and a900s for my dorm room for college.

weeeee.

Aug 17, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 11
If you have space for a turntable, you probably have space for an amplifier - fit it underneath. Not much point in going with computer speakers - extra analog-digital and back for no purpose. Actually you can connect the turntable preamp directly to computer speakers if you so desire. I'm not sure what good speakers you can get that are small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back