Odd Question? Looking to control Schiit stack & speaker amp with 1 volume knob & switch
Mar 3, 2024 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Entropism

100+ Head-Fier
So right now I have a Magni+ and Modi3 powering my headphones using the USB input. I also have a Loxjie A30 powering 2 passive speakers and a sub, using the optical input. Both are using my PC as the source.

As it stands now, I have 2 volume knobs (windows is set to 100% volume), and I have to switch inputs using the windows sound output settings (win+ctrl+v).

How can I set this up so I have a physical switch, and a single volume knob to control everything? This should be possible, right?

I know if I switched to something like a FiiO K7, turning off the headphone amp would automatically swap to the Loxjie in windows. I'd just rather not side-grade my headphone setup for $200 and a little bit of convenience.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 4
So right now I have a Magni+ and Modi3 powering my headphones using the USB input. I also have a Loxjie A30 powering 2 passive speakers and a sub, using the optical input. Both are using my PC as the source.

As it stands now, I have 2 volume knobs (windows is set to 100% volume), and I have to switch inputs using the windows sound output settings (win+ctrl+v).

How can I set this up so I have a physical switch, and a single volume knob to control everything? This should be possible, right?

I know if I switched to something like a FiiO K7, turning off the headphone amp would automatically swap to the Loxjie in windows. I'd just rather not side-grade my headphone setup for $200 and a little bit of convenience.
Modius and Lyr+ combo and then Lyr+ pre-out to Gjallarhorn is how I do this. The Lyr+ is an excellent headphone amp, which is what I mostly use it for, but it can switch my nearfield monitors in or out from a button on the front of the Lyr+ as needed. The Gjallarhorn is way more than enough to power my desktop speakers (Q Acoustics 3010i) and sounds very good (neutral). For a bonus the Lyr+ has an extra SE input if I want to use it plus the Modius has 3 other digital inputs beyond the USB input. Very flexible setup and works really well for me. Also, selectable tube or solid state output stage on the Lyr+, which kinds rocks. Hope this helps.

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 4
I mean, I'm very glad that works for you, but the Lyr has the function I'm looking for (a button to turn off the pre-outs) while my Magni doesn't. I'm trying to see how to get this working with gear I have, or a small additional cost. Not a $600 headphone amp upgrade.

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 4
The simplest way is to use only one DAC (Modi) and use the RCA Line-Out from the Magni to the Loxjie Line-In.
Basically daisy chain them Modi -> Magni -> Loxjie.

Then just unplug your headphones when you want to use speakers and the Magni should behave like a pre-amp as advertised (meaning the Line-Out is probably not a true Line-Out, but an Aux-Out) , which means the only volume control you will ever need, after setting the Loxjie volume once, is the Magni volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back