NYC residents - Check out Carmen
Apr 13, 2002 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

huy_ha

100+ Head-Fier
Just saw/heard Carmen at the New York City Opera. I'm a relative novice when it comes to opera, but I must say the performance was very moving. Don Jose's part, in particular, was very well done.

Apr 13, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 3
Yeah i actually just saw that same proformance a few weeks back at NYC opera. i actually must admit that Carmen isn't my favorite opera (having heard it only twice and seen it once, albeit). The story just doesn't cohere for me. Strange coming from a fan of some very implausable Wagner operas, but those seem to have more internal coherence maybe.

That said, the music is fantastic, and i think the woman who played carmen was great. my girlfriend did complain about the toreador's french accent, but i was able to let it slide. but i thoughroughly enjoyed it, despite the dramatic strangeness that i perceived.

best thing about NYC opera is the price- half off for students! and the two proformances i've seen there have been more than adequate (Turandot and Carmen). Carmen easily outclassed Turandot in stage direction and set design though. i was a bit dissapointed with that aspect of the Turadot production ("nessun dorma" was exceptional though!).

so... there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back