NYC "Area" Headphonatics Anonymous Fall Meet Poll
Jul 7, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #16 of 30
Just so you guys know I sent Mullet our plan. Warren and Ethan would like to do the fall show in Queens in November because a mega meet  takes lots of work for everyone organizing. We had 6 months  of organizing for DC show. and plan a Tri-State Meet end if march so we can attract about 40 vendors and maybe 250-300 members.  If we gt this moving w ecan satrt looking for the tow hotels and see if the Queens location is still open and work on the Tri-State venue and provide that information as we get it. We are also hoping to see some of our NY and Tri-State friends down in DC July25-27th at the CanMania/

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #17 of 30
Would have loved a Stamford meet -- short train ride from GC, esp if you take the express, and great area.

Queens, not so much. Unless you're a Mets fan. 
wink.gif

Hope something can be organized.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #18 of 30
A sort of rhetorical question here, directed at specifically the Audio360 guys: why not put together the return of CanJam? The California events you guys have organized have had way more vendors than any of the 2-day National Meets ever did, and it seems like the natural progression of what you guys are doing is leading towards another installment of the independent CanJams. Seriously, at this point and with your guys' history at organizing the events you've done, it seems like you have a sufficient team in place to pull off another CanJam, and heck, I'd be all for that! If I were you guys, it's certainly a question I'd pose to the appropriate individuals (like Jude, and previous CanJam team members) & MOTs. Heck, you guys are practically already regularly pulling off "CanJam" as it is, without actually calling it that. I'd certainly think Jude would let you use the name by now for an official, Head-Fi-sponsored 2-day event so you can really crank up the attendance....
wink.gif

Like I hinted at in my earlier post, I'm all for having something that is better organized with more vendors and higher overall turnout. There is no reason the NYC area can't have something bigger and better like our brethren on the left coast.

No offense to anyone intended here, but I've attended a fair number of the NYC meets over the years (starting with my first in 2006, which was the 1st National Meet) and have liked them just the way they were with the strong focus on members and member gear. I think it was SiBurning who once wrote something like "the members make the meet," which I wholeheartedly agree with. I noticed that at the last SoCal meet, the vendors literally outnumbered the number of Head-Fiers displaying gear, and I wouldn't want to see that happen at an NYC meet. Not that I'm against vendors, but I don't think that more vendors necessarily makes a meet better, and letting them outnumber Head-Fiers displaying gear is something that just should not be done at any meet, IMO.

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #19 of 30
I'm in for whatever. I live in Stamford, which would be convenient. But I would really love to have a huge meet like the SoCal meet!

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #20 of 30
Hey guys, work has been a proverbial Hades lately, sorry I've been away from the discussion. 
redface.gif

A sort of rhetorical question here, directed at specifically the Audio360 guys: why not put together the return of CanJam?

third_eye and I - as well as several other Audio360 guys - would love to do a CanJam! 
smile.gif
  That said, there is only one CanJam... certainly only one authorized CanJam (yes you guys across the pond, I'm looking at you)... so we would only do such an event with Jude's permission, blessing and support.  But yes, we do feel up to the task, and would love to do it.

The California events you guys have organized have had way more vendors than any of the 2-day National Meets ever did, and it seems like the natural progression of what you guys are doing is leading towards another installment of the independent CanJams. Seriously, at this point and with your guys' history at organizing the events you've done, it seems like you have a sufficient team in place to pull off another CanJam, and heck, I'd be all for that!

Thanks Asr! 
smile.gif
  We do work hard on the meets, so it's extremely gratifying to know that people do enjoy and appreciate them.  For anyone that has ever organized a meet, of whatever size, you know what I'm talking about.  It's not easy.  On top of that, meets don't scale well, so with size comes complexity.

We're already working on a series of two-day shows/meets (shmeets) for next year, and we're truly hoping that we'll be able to maintain a community feel to it.  There are plenty of audio shows around the country, so our focus is on getting members together to share (like any meet should)... but also bringing in manufacturers so that:

1. Members can have a chance to hear gear that they otherwise would not have - because us members don't own everything out there;
  2. Manufacturers can gain a better understanding of our community and what we value, receiving direct feedback from us; and
  3. Preserving a larger sense of community where members are not just people to be "sold to" and manufacturers are not just people we "buy from"

If I were you guys, it's certainly a question I'd pose to the appropriate individuals (like Jude, and previous CanJam team members) & MOTs. Heck, you guys are practically already regularly pulling off "CanJam" as it is, without actually calling it that. I'd certainly think Jude would let you use the name by now for an official, Head-Fi-sponsored 2-day event so you can really crank up the attendance....
wink.gif

Good idea! 
smile.gif

wink.gif

No offense to anyone intended here...

None taken. 
smile.gif

I've attended a fair number of the NYC meets over the years (starting with my first in 2006, which was the 1st National Meet) and have liked them just the way they were with the strong focus on members and member gear. I think it was SiBurning who once wrote something like "the members make the meet," which I wholeheartedly agree with.

We completely agree with the statement that "the members make the meet," believe me, we do.  It might not look like it because we do have so many exhibitors at our meets, but we do.  Here's the challenge:

There was a time when the only personal audio show was CanJam.  But since that time, others have sprung up and continue to spring up.  T.H.E. Show in Newport has T.H.E. Headphonium.  Axpona has the Ear Gear Expo.  Capital Audiofest has CanMania.  The California Audio Show has Headmasters.  TAVES has CANPAX.  And I would imagine that The Chester Group has ambitious plans of their own.

Looking at that trend, we know that there will be more shows, not less.  And therein lies a problem.  There are only so many manufacturers out there.  And they only have a certain amount of time and money to devote to such events (particularly those that need to travel).  So over time, we're going to start to see shows becoming more plentiful, while scaling down, which is really the antithesis of a CanJam-type event.  And I am not for that.

Furthermore, I would prefer that large-scale personal audio shows be closer to our community.  If there is to be competition for exhibitor attention, I would rather that CanJam, a CanJam-esque event, or a national meet be the victor in that contest.  The hobby began with the community, and it should always have a strong tie to the community.  And member produced shmeets are the best way to accomplish that, IMO.

The world is changing fellas, and adaptability/agility is going to matter in a big way.

I noticed that at the last SoCal meet, the vendors literally outnumbered the number of Head-Fiers displaying gear, and I wouldn't want to see that happen at an NYC meet. Not that I'm against vendors, but I don't think that more vendors necessarily makes a meet better, and letting them outnumber Head-Fiers displaying gear is something that just should not be done at any meet, IMO.

Actually, it was pretty close.  But yes, that does happen.  We did have good enough sense to separate exhibitor and member rooms, so that it wasn't irritating to people that didn't want to have it all merged.  Plus, it was easier to run security for members' gear that way.

Nothing's perfect, and we'll continue to refine everything moving forward, but seeing more members come out with their gear is something we ALWAYS want.  As long as members want to bring stuff, we'll do everything we can to make sure there is space.  To that end, I'd like to note that when we book/rent space, we always account for a majority of it going to members.  But unfortunately, what has traditionally happened is that members don't take the space, and we're left over with a bunch of it, which eventually goes to exhibitors that want in. 
frown.gif
  I wish that weren't the case, but it often is.

I am hoping that - based on all the legendary stories I've heard about how strong the NY community is - that y'all can show the rest of the country what it's like when members come out in force.  That would be awesome! 
smile.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #21 of 30
Jul 16, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #22 of 30
Jul 16, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #25 of 30
Looks like a cool event. Doesn't look like a meet per-se, but still good to see some headphone love. Too bad it's on a Thursday. I'm not sure they'll get as much draw as on a weekend day. Although, it does run to 9PM so that's good news. If I can dip out of work early I'll maybe take the train in.

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #26 of 30
I have a friend form LA on the LA audiophile society in town and have a day planned in Philly with him but would like  to run up and support this-anytime a class act like stereo exchange get into doing an event and supported our hobby it worth the effort. Astrell and  Kern will be there as well so if you guys want to hear the players its a a great time to do it plus Manhattan  is always fun-mIss being home still my hometown

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #27 of 30
Well the cat is out of the bag... I moved forward ---------->

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729371/official-nyc-metro-area-headphonatics-anonymous-fall-meet-november-15th-stamford-sheraton-stamford-ct

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #28 of 30
Awesome! 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back