Number Nine
Aug 16, 2002 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

erix

500+ Head-Fier
This is Amp 9

amp9_5.jpg

The enclosure is a 3.5" deep aluminum extrusion I got off the 'Bay. It looks very much like the extrusion used for the Cosmic and Supreme.

amp9_4.jpg

Details:
Jung's multi-loop topology w/ppl's resistor values
OPA2132P Dual Opamp
BUF634T Buffer (w/heatsinks cause they're so manly)
BUF634 virtual ground
Cerafine 2200uF/16V filter caps
Wima MKS2 1uF bypass caps at all supply pins
1% metal film resistors from the Shack
Runs off 12V wall wart from the Shack

amp9_3.jpg

Performance:
I measured less than .5mV DC offset at the output jack.

Sound:
Very nice, nuetral sound - not quite as *sparkly* as the AD823-EL2001 combo. Very smooth, which is good 'cause they will be driving a pair of Grado 80's.

ok,
erix

Aug 16, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 9
Congratz, it's a beauty
smily_headphones1.gif

cool knob too to top it off
biggrin.gif

My dad just gave me a crazy protek DMM, regulated solder station, and all the basic tools for my birthday so I'm ready to go off on my own in the DIY world, and I'm using all you folks as great examples to get new ideas and such. Thanks a lot. I'm excited to soon get underway on #2
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2002 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 9
Oh yes Eric dose very Nice work. Another Amp! An idea is get some of those old Headphones made for Quad like the Old Koss Quadraphone and using Two headphone Amps and Plug a pair of these into each Amp (Thay have two drivers per ear cup and two cords with 3 conductor Phone Plugs) then you can listen to true 5.1 channel Dolby DVD's I tried it and the effect was nice just wish the Quadraphones were Better quality.

Aug 20, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 9
Nice, neat, and clean. Even the protoboard...

Just two questions- did the case come in black? and what is/where did you get that volume pot?

Aug 20, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanx for the kind words!

The heatsinks needed a little work with a file so they would slide into the case. I still had to use a piece of Nomex paper on top so they wouldn't touch.

ppl> Excellent enclosure link. A little on the spendy side for me ($28+ per piece) but for the *right* amp... heh heh heh.

Your Quad idea reminds me of an overlooked thread by our long lost mutual friend. I know it's not the same thing - but two amps into one pair of cans says Blockhead to me! Perhaps this is the amp for those enclosures... I wonder why nobody has explored this avenue for all their bass needs?

I think I shall.

eric343> The case was computer biege when I got it. I had to make the endcaps as the ones they came with had serial port cut-outs. That's a Clarostat throwaway from Danny at Headroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back