NuForce DDA-100 impressions thread (computer, but not headphone, DAC/amp)
Mar 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #61 of 72
Hi,

Am in the same situation with my DDA-100. Running it with a pair of very old JBL Control-5 speakers.

I have been given the following options to consider (all bookshelves though):
 - B&W 685
 - Goldenear Aon3
 - Amphion Ion+

An earlier post in this thread also mentions the Wharfedale floorstander with 89 dB sensitivity.

Am trying to do some speaker auditions here in New Delhi, India. WIll post updates.

Any information would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #62 of 72
Quote:
Hi,

Am in the same situation with my DDA-100. Running it with a pair of very old JBL Control-5 speakers.

- B&W 685
 - Goldenear Aon3
 - Amphion Ion+

An earlier post in this thread also mentions the Wharfedale floorstander with 89 dB sensitivity.

Am trying to do some speaker auditions here in New Delhi, India. WIll post updates.

Thanks in advance.

I have the Nuforce DDA-100 paired with B&W 685s. So far so good, but I do find that the combination is a bit bright. Hi-hats tend to dominate a bit and I find that female vocals can sometimes be a bit recessed (but not on every track). Male vocals are amazing.

It's had 20-30 hours of listening so far, I'm not sure how much more burn in to expect on either the amp or speakers.

Would be very interested to hear your opinions.

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #63 of 72
Quote:
Hi,

- B&W 685
 - Goldenear Aon3
 - Amphion Ion+

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I'm using Wharfedale evolution-30. I think DDA-100 is more than good enough for the speakers. Indeed, the speakers are not up to the standard of this power DAC. And I'm thinking about getting a new pair of floor-standers.
BTW, one of the strength of DDA-100 is that it's so small and light that I'm going to bring it to the retail shops and try different speakers with it.  :)

May 2, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #64 of 72
I'd very much like to read post-burn in period feedback from people who weren't initially convinced to see if their opinion has changed...

Between this and the Wadia 151 Powerdac mini, is there any objective way of knowing which one to get or should I go with my gut feeling?

I'm a bit concerned by the comments on low volume performance since low volume is probably how I'm gonna use it 90% of the time ...

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #65 of 72
Old post I know but I wanted to add my experience with the DDA-100

I have my DDA-100 connected to PSB Alpha B1 across the speaker level inputs of a PSB Subseries 1.  I think it all sounds fantastic.  My source is a Mac Mini through the optical route.  PSB rates the in room (as opposed to the anechoic response) as 91db. My Alphas are mounted on 26" metal stands. Canare speaker cable 4S8 is used.

I like this set up so much I sold separates and floor standers from well known and well regarded companies.  Why? simplicity.  I found that I am closer to the music with the NuForce/PSB combo. Its even somewhat portable! I have long believed that its the music that matters and I will never chase the dragons tail again as far as equipment is concerned.  Spending my money on recordings and concert tickets.  -Rick

Ps. I may be tempted when the NuForce DDA-250 becomes available (if ever)!

Oct 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #66 of 72
as long as it sounds good to you, I guess it's not a big issue for your particular amp. 
hDIQWz

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #67 of 72
Burn-in time has turned out to be absolutly needed in my case. As you can read from my previous posts, I just could not get decent performance from my Nuforce. But then it gradually improved and over the course of 6 months, it has gone from pretty bad to really, really good. I have never ever experienced burn-in improvements like this. I now get musicality, precision, consistency and depth from my nuforce. Detailing is very sophisticated, especially in mid-high ranges. Apparently this unit utilizes condensators that just do not function right for hi-fi until they have been powered on for 100 hours. The 720 USD (4000 danish kroner) that I paid for my Nuforce has turned out to be smart investment after all. This thing now delivers crisp and dynamic musicality at a level where you would normally have to pay 3 or even 10 times more. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #68 of 72
Hi,

I have a pair of Dynaudio Audience 70's that I have relocated with me to Tokyo. What this means is a much smaller listening space, with the speakers just 8 feet away. Plus neighbors on the other side of the wall; so no loud volume.

The plan is to have music coming from an Apple TV (or even directly from my iPhone.)

I've been looking at integrated amps with digital capabilities. I think I've narrowed it down to the NuForce DDA-100 and the Marantz PM6005.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Marantz stacks up (it is less expensive)? Or if either of these amps have enough power to drive my speakers at the moderate volume I will be playing them?

Thank you for any help and guidance.

Sincerely,
Bruce

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #69 of 72
Hi Brian

I am a new owner of a dda100 and found your discussions quite interesting especially the "burn in" issue. Given that you have had more time with the dda since your last post, has there been any change for the positive or negative with respect to sound quality? Thanks.

James

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #71 of 72
Hi,

I am planning to buy the new B&W 685S2 to pair with my Nuforce DDA-100. Anyone out there have any experience with this match?

Will the Nuforce be underpowered for the new 685s?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #72 of 72
I've been through a bizarre routine of trying every "digital" amp on the market except for the more expensive NADs. Either class D plus DAC (Teac) or pure digital (Denon PMA50 and Nuforce DDA100). On the basis that I've managed to acquire all at well below street price and I'll sell whatever I don't keep.

So I've been having "dry sound" problems with the Nuforce DDA100 and became convinced that I've simply combined dry amplification with dry speakers!

NEW SPEAKERS: JBL Studio 530 - regarded as a "fun" yet hi-fi speaker.

Yup. Definitely a good combination with any of these modern noise-free accurate digital amps.

Based on errr an hour or so of listening I'd say the JBLs have brought the fun back. Not only that but I was thinking at first that I'd revert to the Denon over the Nuforce, but now that the JBL's have "brought the fun back" I'd say I the Nuforce might be the "keeper" after all - because it's sooooo damn clean! Crisp as the finest Belgian pommes frites!

So... Nuforce DDA-100 and JBL Studio 530 is one combination that works, for those looking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back